Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of XTracks.

Default Future of XTracks.

Hi gang,

As most probably are aware, I have released the first new update to the Xtracks expansion pack since 2007. My future plans for Xtracks at this time is to try and fill the voids of sections listed in the Tsection.dat that have no corresponding shapes to match. I also want to eventually have every piece of track have both wood and concrete tie versions. Once those two objectives are finally complete, My efforts will turn to then converting the shapes to have the correct width rails similar to what Scale Rail, UK Finescale, etc achieves. At this point, there is close to 4,000 shapes in the Global shape folder. This number will triple with the continued edition of new sections.

Here are two teaser shots of the new fine rail sections under development,

https://imgur.com/jPMftZs

https://imgur.com/huH5P8b

Robert

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

At last,someone is doing what I advocated years ago,in connection with Joseph Realmuto's "finerail".Although there are many track pieces,if everyone who wanted to help could have the conversion software,it would not take long to produce the required track sections.

Ragtimer, It's a daunting task for sure. I am lucky enough to have gotten a copy of DynatraxTools before Tim Booth disappeared. I can generate the curves and straights very quickly. Points and crossovers, buffer stops all have to be made by hand sadly. That is the real work load.

As it stands now, I have received notification that these files are to be pulled from the library. I am still trying to figure out what the issue is with the co-operation of Nels Anderson.

Robert

Edit,

The issue with the packages is a broken link. Will upload corrected files to satisfy the "rivet counters" amongst us.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Ragtimer, It's a daunting task for sure. I am lucky enough to have gotten a copy of DynatraxTools before Tim Booth disappeared. I can generate the curves and straights very quickly. Points and crossovers, buffer stops all have to be made by hand sadly. That is the real work load ....

Robert
    And that is the precise reason why there are so few crossings and turnouts done for the DB- and UStracks range of shapes. Norbert had the same tools, and could indeed crank out the curves and straights automatically. But any variation of a turnout or crossing had to be done by hand. And then very unfortunately Norbert's cancer intervened.

This is a huge task, Robert, I wish you the very best!

David

David,

Thanks.

I am familiar with DBTracks and the unfortunate demise of it's creator.

It's all an untimely end of what might have turned into the complete replacement for Xtracks eventually.

The really sad part though, I had convinced Tim Booth to return to the hobby for a short time to gain access to Dynatrax Tools. Sadly Tim Booth is reported to have taken his own life. This is very unfortunate, Tim had plans to write Dynatrax Tools code giving the ability to create crossovers, points, bumpers, etc. Such a tool would greatly speed the task at hand.

Robert

A question in regard to shapes not yet made / in the package. Are there plans to make:

a. The A3t250r set in concrete?

b. New shapes for A2t150r (both), A3t150r (both), A2t190r (both), and A3t190r (both)?

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Future plans call for all mainline standard gauge track to have both wood and concrete ties. This would be sections with the prefix A1 through A9. I also plan to create shapes for which there is no .S file but the entry exist in the Tsection.dat. This should eliminate the "file not found" annoyance when building routes.

The real issue with working on Xtracks is getting a new Tsection.dat. It's taken me two + years to finally get build 54, so I could release this package.

I have to generate a list of entries in the Tsection.dat that don't have shapes. Sadly Route Riter doesn't seem to have a way of generating such a list. Looks like I will have to do it by hand.

I might also add 3rd rail tracks after conversion to fine "Scale Rail" width rails is complete.

I keep getting asked about NG track, I can't rule out the possibility. But I am not making any promises here either.

Robert

Doug,

All new shapes above A1T have to be created in Gmax. This is an area to which I am still feeling my way along. Sadly Tim Booth never finished the coding for his Dynatrax Tools. Tim is reported to no longer be amongst the living sadly.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Just curious, why do shapes above A1t have to be done in GMax?

I'm asking so I don't spend time re-inventing wheels someone might already be doing.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.