Thread: Open rails Gray areas with tracks and animals

Default Open rails Gray areas with tracks and animals

Recently down loaded open rails after long debate I am able to go to all routes that I have they work except most of the track areas are gray along with the animals. the scenic route works fine. Also now train sim crashes when I try to run activities in train sim as well. My questions is what did I miss in loading it correctly?

Its not Open Rails, but rather your failure to follow instructions to segregate Open Rails-only routes from Trainsimulations (likely the Scenic route you mentioned) into a separate installation that uses it's own copy of the Global folder.

These Open Rails-only routes install a new version of Xtracks that do not have ACE files and only installs DDS texture files. Your Xtracks installation is looking for DDS files and there are none in the textures folder of your MSTS routes. Thats also why your MSTS is also now broken, it doesn't know what a DDS file is that your Xtracks pieces suddenly need and can't load it.

The easiest fix is either restore your Global folder from a backup or run the original Xtracks installer again and overwrite what was accidentally overwritten. Then follow the installation instructions to segregate the Open Rails-only routes away from your MSTS routes

I run OR exclusively, but I don't like having routes segregated all over the place. In my opinion, TrainSimulations releasing a route installer that overwrites files in existing routes was an extremely poor idea. The problem comes from that. The Global folder is a relatively easy fix, but the installer from TS WILL replace targeted .ace files with .dds files anyplace that it finds them in the folder that is the target of the install. So, for example, if you have your route files in, say, a 1MSTS folder, and you point the installer for the TS route to it, the installer will overwrite the targeted files with .dds files everyplace that it finds them in that 1MSTS folder. As one who has worked with software design in my past regular work, I can say that is a sure way to cause real problems and is no way to design a software installer.

The Trainsimulations installer does in fact warn that it is an Open Rails only install, and if left to install without making changes will place the full install into a mini route setup. Not a bad installer, just a failure to understand what it is doing in most cases.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Their subsequent ORTS-only route installers for Seligman and Ruel force install to the same location that was merely 'suggested' in the starter route's installer.

They just need to redo the installer for the starter route and force that, too. Take that folder location decision out of the hands of ORTS toe-dipping users who often aim for that usual 1MSTS folder while blowing past the warning screens without knowing the calamity they are about to unleash.

I have no problem keeping the new routes with higher poly stock and OR-only physics that have no hope of use in MSTS out of the MSTS/file library trainset folder cesspool. Start a-fresh and shed the past!