Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS program crashed while doing event

Default MSTS program crashed while doing event

I was doing the hard mission of the Acela train. I don't remember the exact details of that mission, but I got to the first station with about 20 seconds to spare, and then once loading of all passengers was completed, I continued on to the next station.

Well, somewhere in the middle of going from the first station to the next, MSTS just crashes to the desktop. I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), AMD FX-8300 @ 3.3 ghz, Nvidia GeForce 970 4gb, sound is on-board.

Are there tips or things I can do so that it doesn't crash as often? Thanks.

If you really want help you'd better supply some details. As we have no idea what you're doing or where.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    If you really want help you'd better supply some details. As we have no idea what you're doing or where.
    Not sure I understand you. I said in my first post what I was doing, and what happened. Not sure what other details I need to provide, as my first post should have been sufficient enough to at least warrant some kind of help. And I wouldn't have posted, if I didn't need help. So it's legitimate, I'm just looking for help with why MSTS would suddenly crash to the desktop.

I was doing the Drive a Train, Northeast Corridor, Summer Express mission. I was managing my speeds to acceptable limits, and had successfully arrived at the first train station, 20 seconds early. I then got all the passengers boarded and made my way on to the second train station. Maybe 3 to 5 minutes after I left the first train station, Microsoft Train Simulator crashed to the desktop.

Is this a recurring thing with MSTS, or are there things I can do to keep it from happening so much?

Do you have other programs running or? Antivirus? Anything like web or e mails or other background running? That can overload your GPU usage and crash. Disable all of them and unplug your Internet, you dont need them.
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    Do you have other programs running or? Antivirus? Anything like web or e mails or other background running? That can overload your GPU usage and crash. Disable all of them and unplug your Internet, you dont need them.
    Yes, I've got Avast and Malwarebytes running in the background, but I have MSTS added to the exclusions list already for both programs. Then sharing screen with a friend on skype, so yea, you could say there is quite a bit of usage, but with 32gb of ram in my system, I wouldn't think it would crash. It just freezes and then crashes. I was playing it just now to see and it did it again actually.

I could try setting up the compatibility mode for it and see if that helps as well.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

It happens,save often !

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    It happens,save often !
    Wow ragtimer, that was really helpful! It shouldn't happen often and should be fixable.

RS_User, have you run the route, the stock and the activity through utilities like Route_Riter and Conbuilder?

Assuming that it's only this activity that causes the crashes, it's possible that there's a defective piece of stock that MSTS is trying to load as part of a traffic consist at that time that causes the crash.

Make a note of the time just before it crashes, open the activity in the MSTS activity editor and have a look to see if there's an item of traffic that starts at that time. That might give you a clue as to where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    RS_User, have you run the route, the stock and the activity through utilities like Route_Riter and Conbuilder?

Assuming that it's only this activity that causes the crashes, it's possible that there's a defective piece of stock that MSTS is trying to load as part of a traffic consist at that time that causes the crash.

Make a note of the time just before it crashes, open the activity in the MSTS activity editor and have a look to see if there's an item of traffic that starts at that time. That might give you a clue as to where the problem is.
    Thank you so much for the helpful reply. No, I haven't run this through Route_Riter or Conbuilder, but I actually turned off shadows. I had played an older game from 2001 that was built for Windows 98, that when the shadows were turned on, could cause crashes. After I had turned shadows off, it did seem to make somewhat of a difference.

The nice thing also is that I was still able to share screen on Skype with my friend, and it didn't crash like it had been earlier.

Thanks again so much.

Are you saying that once you turned shadows off the activity no longer crashes?