Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brazil route project

It is looking real great Diter. I believe what you are working with is the "Linha Do Centro" line. I have signal data for
    that line (as being rebuilt) but it is on large sheets and I have no way to scan it, otherwise I would share it with
    you.

I am looking at the line from the ore port to Barra do Pirai, abouit 108 KM. Judging by how MRS had us break
    up the design, this must be something of a division point and it is the location of the maintenance shops and
    a significant yard.

Then my other route would be the Ferrovia Do Aco which if I understand it right, was built in the 1980s period
    to provide a 2nd route out of the ore pit area. I believe this line starts at a junction near Barra Mansa but we
    also redesigned the signal system along the river to Barra do Pirai, so I include that. If there is interest, I'll
    move this up in the bucket list. Also, if anyone prefers breaking it into more segments, just give me the
    limits of the Kilometers and I can do that. I set it up as two routes. Port to Barra do Pirai and Barra do Pirai to
    near Belo Horizonte, but the latter segment is about 400Km which might be a bit much. A good break point
    in the latter route would be at Bom Jardin de Minas, just north of the long tunnel. I was told that helpers
    are used from the ore pits to that point with loaded trains.

And then you great folks in Brazil do provide us with some humor. We have a series of motels in the US that
    go by the name of "Motel Six". One of my colleagues who was down there working up the proposals took a
    picture of your version------"Motel Sex".

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Re. the large sheets: try just taking a photo (with your camera or cell phone). All a scan really is, is a controlled photo. If possible without creating a file too big for posting or emailing, try to use a high resolution setting so zooming in to the details is possible.

Yes, I thought about that, and I have excel sheets in a file of the gradients and some curves
    for the route that Diter is apparently working on. I sent him a private message and if I could
    get his email, I would send him the relevant files. Failing that, I could also put them in the
    charts/information area of the library. I have good digital camera and tripod, so it would not
    be impossible to do it.

J. H. Sullivan

Looks great Diter. I've also looked at the two routes you sent me. The only suggestion I would have, and I am doing this
    on the sections I'll at least lay the track on. Look at M-tracks, (in the library) especially the #15 turnouts and crossovers.
    The turnouts in the images look to be the default #10 turnouts or similar. These would be correct for yard tracks, ladders,
    etc., but not for entrance/exit turnouts that open onto the main track. For the top speeds allowed on MRS, #15 would be
    the appropriate turnout. There are also #20 & #24 turnouts, but these would only be seen on lines that host passenger
    trains. Rule of thumb: Turnout speeds should not exceed 2xfrog no., therefore #10=20mph, 32km/hr, #15=30mph,
    48km/hr.

J. H. Sullivan

One other comment for all of us----

I am glad these S.A. routes are being done. Ferrovia do Aco, or "steel line", which we were told was the loaded train
    route is very new as far as railway construction goes, being less than 40 years old. Thus when you look at profiles,
    you find grades that rarely exceed 1% in very rugged terrain. Curves that seldom exceed 5 degrees. It is a very
    well located and constructed line. It has 70 some tunnels and 70 some bridges.

I wish Diter well. He told me that he is a MRS employee, so I can think of him as my S.A. railroad brother. I had
    34 years, 13 on the Southern and 21 on CSX.

J. H. Sullivan