Thread: Question about the SLI/TS ATSF C41-8W KLine Trainset

Cool Question about the SLI/TS ATSF C41-8W KLine Trainset

good morning i was wondering if there was a route from Long Beach,CA to Logistics Park/ Kansas City,MO ??

You have about 99.9 percent of it. Most of it is available free of charge in the MSTS Route Library at this website. What you are looking for is Cajon Pass 4 by Patrick Wise,updated by Charlie Sibaja and then the Seligman Subdivision at TrainSimulations.com. The most extensive Routes are written by the legendary Bob Wirth available here in the File Library. You will need ATSF Needles,Gallup,Clovis,Hereford,Wynoka,Emporia for Kansas City. To continue on to Logistics Park outside of Chicago you will need also by Bob Wirth the Marceline and Chillicothe Subdivisions. Unfortunately, I dont believe that the route from Long Beach to the Alameda Corridor connection with Cajon Pass 4 route has been built. Have Fun!!! Brian

How wold i Connect All of the Routes to make a Big one

That is not possible. My recommendation would be to do what I do. I am the champion of running Activities in succession to run one particular train over hundreds or thousands of miles of territory. Create an Activity for the "K" Line Trainset for each Route that you need to traverse. Set it up so that when one Routes Activity ends,the next Routes" Activity begins. Also,this is what I do so that I can get multiple new use out of Activities{either Custom ones or those created by others}, I create a New Folder that I name "Open Rails Activity Storage" on my desktop and when I finish running an Activity and it works correctly, I transfer the Route Folder to it and then I go back to the Activity Editor and make changes to the Activity so that now I have 2 Activities encompassing the same scenario. When you have run your new Edited Activity you can store that also and it will come up in your "Open Rails Activity Storage" as Activity 1. I will tell you from personal experience that creating a series like that comprising 2000 miles of route will take you a long time,but it IS worth it! Have Fun. Brian

There was someone working on the Long Beach and Alameda Corridor as an update to Cajon Pass 4, I believe but haven't seen anything on it since 2015. I believe the person working on it was MARK1983.

aj

Quote Originally Posted by Boat23 View Post
    How wold i Connect All of the Routes to make a Big one
    Why would you want to do that? It's giving your PC one heck of a massive route to load ...and more to the point at an average speed of 40 m.p.h. (about average for many US roads?) a 200 mile route will take 5 hours to drive? OK so you can save a run and restart it? Well if you do that you can load the next part of a "bigger routing" available in another route and carry on from there? All you have to do is use the consist from the previous route and make an activity that follows it's progress through the "next route".
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Why would you want to do that? It's giving your PC one heck of a massive route to load ...and more to the point at an average speed of 40 m.p.h. (about average for many US roads?) a 200 mile route will take 5 hours to drive? OK so you can save a run and restart it? Well if you do that you can load the next part of a "bigger routing" available in another route and carry on from there? All you have to do is use the consist from the previous route and make an activity that follows it's progress through the "next route".
    I can't help but agree that combining the routes into one serves no real useful purpose unless one wants to sit down for a marathon two-day run from Chicago to LA. Most routes have endpoints in places where crew changes would take place anyway, which provides a nice way to drive for a couple hours and then take a break, as would be the case in real life where you would get rested for ten hours (I think?), or maybe a return trip, when you reach the far end of your run.

Oh, and most of the big mainlines these days are good for 60mph, especially once you get into the Plains where there are no pesky mountains to slow you down. I guess I don't know if Bob set his routes in the era before that was commonplace, and 40 would have been a common limit. That said, five hours is probably still accurate with speed restrictions, traffic delays, slow orders, etc.