Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Activities RMD - West

Default New Activities RMD - West

Hello, I am enjoying the Milw 01: EB Columbian activity using the EP-3 Electric. I am running OR X1.3.1-104-g0b201d29 and each time I restart the activity after a save, I get a warning message about the "water level in the tender being too low and some plug has malfunctioned". It goes away, but why would this come up using an Electric Loco?

Just wondering, it doesn't affect the activity at all, that I have found. Just curious, because I have only seen this before when running a Steam Locomotive.

Thanks

steam generator?

That activity has a Milw 4-8-4 as AI traffic. Likely the error is caused by the steam locomotive, which is not setup for ORTS.

The reason for not setting up for ORTS, has to do with the box cab motors not playing nice with ORTS. ORTS gets confused with the mix of eng and wag files, which messes up the braking system.

None of the locomotives are setup correctly for ORTS.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Hello, I am enjoying the Milw 01: EB Columbian activity using the EP-3 Electric. I am running OR X1.3.1-104-g0b201d29 and each time I restart the activity after a save, I get a warning message about the "water level in the tender being too low and some plug has malfunctioned". It goes away, but why would this come up using an Electric Loco?

Just wondering, it doesn't affect the activity at all, that I have found. Just curious, because I have only seen this before when running a Steam Locomotive.

Thanks
    What looks like a single locomotive is made up out of three separate parts. The middle part is 'Milw_EP-3_Quill\Milw_EP-3_E15-2e.eng". This part has a steam entry in the eng file for steam heating effects. I guess it is this that triggers the warning and not the AI 4-8-4.

That is what I thought. I had to eliminate that pesky "Steam-whatever" from the locomotives in the original release. After that they showed up fine, but without the "Steam Effects".

Thank you all for confirming my suspicions.

Brama, That is an interesting observation.

The center section is setup as a steam locomotive to trick MSTS into giving us the steam effect. For this section to work correctly, I'd imagine it needs to be setup as a tank locomotive without tender. I believe the ORTS error would be caused by the middle section looking for a non existent tender?

Robert

Yes, funny thing about this issue, I just had a meet with (2nd) with another electric leading and all encompassing steam effect around the locomotive! This was not a passenger train, reefers and mail cars. The first meet was also a mixed freight with electric power but no steam effect.
    Rather than a "Stream" of steam emanating below and behind it was up in the center of the locomotive. That "Tank Locomotive" idea may be the answer to part of this issue.

Lukas created a steam leak effect that is added between cars as a inviso wagon. The EP3 has the center section setup as a steam locomotive to achieve the steam heat effect. ORTS I think, would allow for a steam effect while keeping the center section a true electric locomotive? If not, Than Peter could probably make effects possible on pure electrics just as they have done for diesels.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    ... ORTS I think, would allow for a steam effect while keeping the center section a true electric locomotive? ...
    Robert
    OR Manual section 8.4.4 Special Visual Effects for Locomotives or Wagons, may apply here.
    OR supports the following special visual effects in a wagon (also the wagon section of an ENG fie):
    • Steam Heating Boiler (named HeatingSteamBoilerFX) – represents the exhaust for a steam heating
    boiler. Typically this will be set up on a diesel or electric train as steam heating was provided directly
    from a steam locomotive.
    • Wagon Generator (named WagonGeneratorFX) – represents the exhaust for a generator. This generator
    was used to provide additional auxiliary power for the train, and could have been used for air
    conditioning, heating lighting, etc.
    • Wagon Smoke (named WagonSmokeFX) – represents the smoke coming from say a wood fire. This
    might have been a heating unit located in the guards van of the train.
    • Heating Hose (named HeatingHoseFX) – represents the steam escaping from a steam pipe connection
    between wagons.
    NB: If a steam effect is not dened in the SteamSpecialEffects, DieselSpecialEffects, or the
    SpecialEffects section of an ENG/WAG file, then it will not be displayed in the simulation. Similarly
    if any of the co-ordinates are zero, then the eect will not be displayed.
    Each effect is defined by inserting a code block into the ENG/WAG file similar to the one shown below:
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Default RMD West New Activities

Here is the train in question, a Reefer/Mail Train with Electric Power:
    RMD West Electric Steam 2.jpg

RMD West Electric Steam 1.jpg