Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assistance Requested - Fresh MSTS Install Crashing to Desktop on Windows 10

Default Assistance Requested - Fresh MSTS Install Crashing to Desktop on Windows 10

Hello again, everyone;

As some of you may be aware, I have taken hiatus from MSTS and ORTS over the last few years. Its been for a multitude of reasons, not excluding computer issues and my mind being on other things in life overall. However, recently I’ve been getting that “itch” to be back into train simulation.

I have recently purchased a new gaming computer; specs are detailed below. I installed MSTS per the steam4me instructions (C:\1msts root folder, v1.4 upgrade, deleting the startup clip, etc.). Only deviation was that I was unable to secure the TweakUAC application. When I went to the hyperlink and went to request the application, I was given a blank email. Any assistance on this issue would be appreciated as well, but this is not why I’m reaching out to the forums.

After completing the MSTS installation, XTracks, NewRoads, and Bin (version 1.8.010516, if needed) I attempted to load the sim. However, after about 5 seconds of attempting to load the simulation, MSTS crashes to the desktop with no error or warning messages. I have attempted with or without the CD (to verify if this was maybe an issue with the v1.4 install), verifying the NVIDIA graphics card was in use, and running as administrator.

I will note that I downloaded the current installation of Open Rails and tested the content in that format. The menus opened in ORTS perfectly fine and was able to load the simulation without incident. Albeit only an MSTS issue, it does impact my ability to create activities due to the inability to access the editors. Is anybody able to possibly diagnose the issue I may be having? If any other information is needed, please feel free to let me know. Any assistance is much appreciated in advance!

PC Specs
    ASUS FX505DT [OS – Windows 10 Home]

PROCESSOR DESCRIPTION
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

MEMORY
    RAM 8GB
    Type DDR4
    Speed 2400MHz

HARD DRIVE
    Inbuilt HDD 1TB, 256GB SSD
    Speed (RPM) 5400 RPM

CHIPSET
    GPU Model Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
    GPU Memory (shared) 4GB

EK

You can download TSRE5 and can make activities for Open Rails within the route editor. It also comes with an awesome consist editor also.

I really don't know about your problem. Though I did have problems with the AMD Ryzen processor in the past with older games. I switched back to my AMD FX processor & had no problem after that.

But I am sure someone on here mine lead you in the right direction if you want to use the MSTS editors instead of the ones in TSRE5.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by ekeating View Post
    Hello again, everyone;

As some of you may be aware, I have taken hiatus from MSTS and ORTS over the last few years. Its been for a multitude of reasons, not excluding computer issues and my mind being on other things in life overall. However, recently I’ve been getting that “itch” to be back into train simulation.

I have recently purchased a new gaming computer; specs are detailed below. I installed MSTS per the steam4me instructions (C:\1msts root folder, v1.4 upgrade, deleting the startup clip, etc.). Only deviation was that I was unable to secure the TweakUAC application. When I went to the hyperlink and went to request the application, I was given a blank email. Any assistance on this issue would be appreciated as well, but this is not why I’m reaching out to the forums.

After completing the MSTS installation, XTracks, NewRoads, and Bin (version 1.8.010516, if needed) I attempted to load the sim. However, after about 5 seconds of attempting to load the simulation, MSTS crashes to the desktop with no error or warning messages. I have attempted with or without the CD (to verify if this was maybe an issue with the v1.4 install), verifying the NVIDIA graphics card was in use, and running as administrator.

I will note that I downloaded the current installation of Open Rails and tested the content in that format. The menus opened in ORTS perfectly fine and was able to load the simulation without incident. Albeit only an MSTS issue, it does impact my ability to create activities due to the inability to access the editors. Is anybody able to possibly diagnose the issue I may be having? If any other information is needed, please feel free to let me know. Any assistance is much appreciated in advance!

PC Specs
    ASUS FX505DT [OS – Windows 10 Home]

PROCESSOR DESCRIPTION
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

MEMORY
    RAM 8GB
    Type DDR4
    Speed 2400MHz

HARD DRIVE
    Inbuilt HDD 1TB, 256GB SSD
    Speed (RPM) 5400 RPM

CHIPSET
    GPU Model Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
    GPU Memory (shared) 4GB

EK
    no offense but your pc is not new...this is not a true gaming pc in 2019/2020

Have you installed any add-on routes? If so do you have the version or later required for those routes? Probably best to install the latest from the library here.
    Charles

What's your screen resolution set at? Anything more than 1600 x 1200 will crash MSTS. Editors generally need even lower resolutions. Set your screen resolution on the desktop before launching MSTS. (Windows 10 will reliably remember your desktop icon placement when you switch back.)

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Decent rig. Good specs.
    You should be running OpenRails on it.

Randy

Does your processor has an additional, internal graphics chip? If so, this might be your problem - on my computer, MSTS will only start from the integrated graphics and will reliably crash to desktop with the nvidia chip.

Replies to prior messages on this thread:

@MMSS - Your message was the first time I've heard of TSRE5. I found some videos of the consist editor and they look phenomenal. However, I couldn't find any material of making activities for MSTS/ORTS on that platform. Do you have any familiarity with doing so? I would hope that AI would have similar logic to MSTS (as much of a backward step as that may sound) as with my experience with the activity editor I'd gotten to know its quirks and how to work around the tough situations of making realistic MSTS activities.

@crstagg - No route addons as of yet, I wanted to test the base MSTS game first prior to dumping a bunch of addons in and that's where I first noticed the trouble. Naturally, for any routes I'll look to have the most recent updates.

@EricF - My screen resolution is 1920x1080, therefore grater than MSTS capabilities. I updated my resolution to 1600x920 and then tried 1200x724 (I can't remember the exact specs, but it was below 1600x1200) and, unfortunately, no luck in doing so.

@mmax45581 - This PC does have two separate graphics chips. It was set for the integrated graphics card initially by default. I have attempted with both the integrated and Nvidia cards with no dice!

I appreciate all of your suggestions! MSTS is no stranger to finicky behavior. Any other suggestions I'll gladly take a look into seeing if that may solve the issue.

EK

Here is a manual for the activity editor made by one of the forum users:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IU/mobilebasic

Maybe better to start over with installing JUST the base MSTS and 1.4 update, and then test before adding New Roads and Xtracks. One step at a time. And, if you get a successful launch, back it up before running the next software installations, to avoid having to reinstall from the beginning.

Did you increase the usable memory with the -mem: switch?

https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/xtra_mem.html

As the responses here show, nowadays it's pretty near impossible to ask any MSTS troubleshooting question without getting Open Rails\why don't you use other software recommendations. But some help can be found from those who respect the original help request, and I hope you get your MSTS running soon.
    Last edited by ftldave; 12-06-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer