Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assistance Requested - Fresh MSTS Install Crashing to Desktop on Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Did you increase the usable memory with the -mem: switch?

That was my thoughts as well. My MSTS never ran stable on the newer OSes, but the editors (esp activity editor) were always a touch more reliable provided I maximized the memory usage along with having that infamous and otherwise useless DEFAULT folder in the Trainset. The occasional editor use was all I ever fired it up for.

If you have any DDS-only content, however, you can forget using any MSTS editors. They flat out will not load when reading a Trainset folder that contains any content that is DDS only. So if you are successful in getting the editors to work, consider it a short shelf life if you have any aspirations of buying today's standard of new content as time marches on. I'm sure those helpful MSTS people who are champions of not making software suggestions would have told you that anyway, right Dave?
    Last edited by geepster775; 12-06-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Have you set the Property box of train.exe to run as Administrator? Makes a big difference.

Cheers Bob.

All,

This thread has been dormant for a few weeks as I have been able to run Open Rails without incident. However, I still want to get back into activity creation and TSRE's activity editor just isn't quite there yet. With that being said, let me check back in with a few unanswered inquiries or suggestions.

@FTLDave

I currently have my shortcuts formatted as follows:

MSTS simulator - C:\1MSTS\train.exe -mem:4096
    MSTS editors - C:\1MSTS\train.exe -toolset -mem:2048

Neither at this point are able to load to their respective screens. I've played around with the memory amount (1024, 2048, 4096), however none seem to do the trick.

@geepster775,

I'll have to look to see to make sure. But off the top of my head I can't think of any stock that I have that wouldn't be backwards-compatible to MSTS.

@Rober,

Bob, both train.exe and launcher.exe are both set to run as administrator in their properties.

EK

I might note that given its age, unmodified MSTS might not be able to effectively use more than 2 GB of RAM (-mem:2048). It's 32-bit software, designed well before any 64-bit operating systems were common, when most software was designed to run within the normal 2 GB virtual memory limit for 32-bit Windows applications. That said, at one point, I did apply a (edit: Large Address Aware - search for "LAA") patch I found somewhere (not MSTS-specific) that sets a flag in the executable explicitly allowing it the full 4 GB allocation provided to 32-bit software in 64-bit Windows, and it didn't crash with -mem:4096 when testing in Windows 7. I'm not sure it would do much good; you would have to do some testing to see if the additional memory beyond 2048 is actually used. (Edit: when I tested, I couldn't push it past 2GB of actual memory usage as reported in Windows Task Manager, even with -mem:4096. Part of that, probably, was the inability to find Really Big Routes at the time, and hardware limitations otherwise.)

ORTS was designed from the start for full memory access (up to the 4096 limit for 32-bit software, which for now it remains though 64-bit builds are being tested). No tweaks are necessary. A 2GB-limited executable is available for those with very limited machines running 32-bit Windows (at least, the option was in the main (now quite elderly) stable release), but I see no reason for most of us to worry about it.

BTW, the 4 GB allocation limit is VIRTUAL MEMORY, not physical RAM. It's built into Windows. You could (nobody would recommend it) run 64-bit Windows in 2GB of physical RAM, and provide 4GB of "RAM" to 32-bit software. The disk swapping would be legendary. There are differences between the Home/Pro/Enterprise etc. editions related to maximum physical and virtual RAM in 64-bit mode (well above what I would or even can have in my computers), but for 32-bit software the hard limit is 4 GB of virtual memory per main process.

In principle, 32-bit software can be built to use more than 4 GB, and certain older Windows builds (especially Server builds) allowed that, but since Windows 8 those options have gone away.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 01-04-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: edits noted in text

I've had the same problem with a clean install crashing. It was all resolved by setting the Compatibility mode to Windows XP service update 3.

I'm running on an ASUS ROG laptop, I don't run as administrator, I used the NVIDIA control panel to set MSTS to use the NVIDIA GTX 1050ti, my screen is set for 1920x1080. I haven't had any problems running the sim since I set the compatibility mode.

When MSTS starts up, it still comes up in a 4:3 screen with black bars on either side, and I run the sim in 1024x768x32.

I'm not certain of this, but recently I was running an activity that kept crashing at the same time (using the F10 window) and found it tied to an AI train that was popping in at that time. I couldn't find any reason for the crash other than maybe a car/loco setting was incorrect. I switched out the AI consist for another and the activity kept running to the end. Don't know if it was a fluke, but the replacement consist was 2 cars shorter, making me think "Memory Error". The path was redone, so that wasn't the problem.

I haven't had a chance to do some testing yet i.e. trying a consist with the same number of cars as the consist that crashed the sim, or switching out cars to see if there is a particular piece of equipment causing the crash.

I'm now running a different activity on the Ohio Rail upgrade, and the crash started up again. This time not tied to any particular time, but a location. I'm in the process of shortening the AI paths and reducing the excess "Loose Consists" that aren't seen to see if reducing more memory usage will help. (this isn't my activity, but an OVSRails activity that presumably ran in the past, but doesn't now).

Rick

Well for me, installing patch update 1.4 and then MSTS Bin 1.8 and running in compatability mode for Windows XP and as an administrator worked.

Here are some more testing results that I have come up with.

Activity on Ohio Rail Upgrade.
    1. Since sound streams were mentioned as a cause for crash (not sure if in this thread or another) I removed the sound files for all static consists. No change, activity kept crashing.

2. Changed all the AI power and loose consist power to AI power (hoping reduced cab views would use less memory), generated by Route Riter. Still no change.

3. Removed some loose consists to reduce memory consumption. Still no change.

4. Tried running in Administrator mode, no change.

5. The last idea I could come up with was the cab file being used in the player train. The WVO SD40-2 that came with the Route Install files had the cab aliased to the GP38. I realized that I had not updated it to the upgraded file. I installed the upgraded file, which has an SD40-2 view from the engineer's seat, and had its own sound set. I then restored all the loose consists and engines to their original state (changing the Ai engines back to the original engines used and restoring the loose consists with their sound files intact.) I was then able to run the activity (not using Adminsistrator Mode, I find that on my system Admin causes problems) and finish it with a successful ending.

My conclusion for this instance is that either there are too many sound streams in the GP38 sound files, or that some of those files were corrupted, causing the sim to crash (without any messages). I haven't yet reinstalled the original GP38 files that I had saved prior to upgrading my setup to see if there were any changes made that would cause all the problems.

You are trying to run a 19 year old sim that does not give error messages. I hated it in 2001 but no more. Dumped it in 2012.
    I am astonished at the amount of work you have done when there is a wonderful Sim that runs all the MSTS equipment and routes AND provides you with detailed error messages. And with community input gets updated weekly. How can you not like that.
    Yes, some rolling stock needs minor tweaking but not to the level of problems you are putting yourself through with MSTS.
    Good luck.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I recently upgraded my nearly decade-old HP desktop to Windows10 due to work-from-home requirements and didn't expect MSTS to operate at all but somehow the whole shabang came across and operates about 98% normally. I've had three issues though, two I think I can work around or solve through tinkering but the third I'm not so sure of.

1. Setting the resolution above the default will cause the sim to CTD whenever I try to exit an activity. Oddly enough it has no issues loading up or running the sim. Not a big deal for me, since the computers processor is pretty weak by todays standards.

2. Hitting F1 causes the sim to implode. I'd love to be able to un-assign this key but for whatever reason you can't.

3. The odd issue I've been having however is that when the activity loads up, the display is offset down and to the left, with a light gray border on the top and left side of the monitor. When I start the program and go through all the activity selection screens and all loading screens everything appears as it should across the entire monitor. Only the actual gameplay portion is offset. Has anyone experienced this or have advice on how to correct it?

All three of your issues are fully corrected with Open Rails.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"