Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Columbia River Route

Are you planning on uploading your update of the route or is it private since the one on here is old and has no activities or signals on it ak3221?

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Are you saying there's a way to increase the mesh resolution above what we normally see ? I don't know if it's just the screenshot but some of those ripples in the mesh look higher than default...
    No. What MSTS does is reduce the mesh resolution from 8m to 16m whenever the terrain mesh is further than a specific distance away. Offhand I don't know what that distance is but I suspect it is 1000m. When the camera moves in such a way that 16m resolution mesh is now inside of that limit the terrain can visually pop in or out because the previously un-displayed 8m center vertex is often not co-planar to the 16m polys.

That pop was unacceptable to Cal so he used a feature in the editor to force all terrain to display at 8m resolution (what OR does). That drove MSTS way down and that is what everyone crabbed about. Having put so much of himself into the project all the negative feedback was too much and left the hobby.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by FireEngine View Post
    Are you planning on uploading your update of the route or is it private since the one on here is old and has no activities or signals on it ak3221?
    I see some items that are payware in the details so I think it is safe to say it is a private modification to the route.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Are you saying there's a way to increase the mesh resolution above what we normally see ? I don't know if it's just the screenshot but some of those ripples in the mesh look higher than default...
    Regards,
    Scott
    No... and yes. There actually is a way to get much smaller terrain resolution: A couple of years ago James Ross wrote a small program that took in some location data and output terrain data in Collada format (.dae). Collada files can be imported by many 3d modeling software and I used Sketchup to import it. It was a bit tricky at first but eventually I was able to locate and remove the polys I did not want for the purpose of inserting a tunnel portal. I planned to fill the gaps around the tunnel portal with whatever sized polys were needed, discard the terrain and create an .s file of what was left -- my additions and then place that as an ordinary shape.

I got distracted / something happened and I did not complete the project. I'm not even sure I could locate James' software again.

IMO it was a good idea and with a bit more coding it probably could be used to export terrain polys under and adjacent to the railroad right of way so, with enough time, you could construct proper drainage ditches; elsewhere as it is (or was) it could be used for any custom terrain shape. All one needed to do is build the shape and put it's origin point on a vertex of the imported terrain. Placement could be done using KUJU's snap-to vertex function, or lacking that editor place it nearby and calculate the location of the vertex. Use that to update the position data in the world file and you are done.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

A whole series of nice shots. The water looks so much nicer than what I see in my routes when running OR. What is the difference, I wonder?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Waiting for a crew change before heading to Seattle,WA.

Not my best pics and along way from done, but I was able to finally reach Vancouver, Wa. Run from Wishram,Wa to Vancouver, Wa.

The north turn into Vancouver yard and probably end in Long View area

Mt.Hood and Mt. St. Helens in the back ground