Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Various Screenshots with no particular theme... Part 2020

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    Glad you like them I put so much work into them and all the 1960 1970 rolling stock I create I feel that this is a time period most forget about and I don't want to be like that. There were some happy times sitting with my father watching the trains with him. I can't go back but I can recreate those moments and remember and smile.

I miss you Dad, save your daughter a seat where ever your watching trains in heaven.
    Oh you have that right. My family ran a book publishing business, so we were out all the time - Elizabeth, Penn Station Newark, South Amboy, Bay Head, Waldwick, Lehigh Gap and Jim Thorpe, and then also Flemington, New Hope, Bellows Falls, and the list goes on and on. And that's not to mention trips on the Montreal Limited, the El Capitan, the Denver Zephyr, and all the great names. I will never forget arriving at Buena Vista Station on El Regiomontano!

That was a fabulous time, strange that everywhere there were fans still mourning the end of steam! So much of the previous generation's stuff was still there - Alco Road Switchers and Baldwins and 40' box cars with solid bearing trucks, but there was incredible new stuff being added all the time too - SD45s, U-Boats, 89' freight cars, and lots more.

A misunderstood fact regarding that era is that traffic was in fact steadily increasing - Penn Central did not fail due to a lack of traffic! Yes those were fascinating times.

I too miss my Dad, who left us fifteen years ago this month, and yes, I too look forward to being reunited once we have arrived at the appropriate place and time.

David P. Carleton,
    D. Carleton Rail Books

I remember watching the beautiful rolling bilboards for various companies and I do remember seeing the Morton Salt hoppers! I also remember the Schlitz Beer beer box car parked over in the next town broken. Was so funny to see a police officer sitting in his car next to it since he had to watch over it.

Then it all went away when we moved to England................. my dad slowly lost intrest in trains and I think in a way it broke his heart.
    I even lost intrest but after my father passed away I found some of our old photos and it made me smile and remember all the fun during the summer drinking real Mountain Dew and eating Good Humor Ice Cream from the truck..

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    I will never forget arriving at Buena Vista Station on El Regiomontano!
    Just like that memory of yours David. It was 50 years ago for me this past Saturday night (Jan 4th) that my dad took me to Hoboken to see the Erie Lackawanna's Lake Cities depart for Chicago for the last time. In the cold & snow he braved it for me. Memories like that I treasure always.

And a note on your family. D. Carleton Rail Book's "The Erie Lackawanna Story" was the first book I ever bought for the start of my now vast NJ & NE USA railroad library at 10 years old in 1974. It was and still is my 1st go to reference guide for EL to me.
    - Mark -

Diet Pepsi Can.
    "Great expectations lead to greater disappointments." - Me

Diet Pepsi??

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    Diet Pepsi??
    Let me try to explain this as best as I can. When the P32-BHWs first arrived in the early 90s, they were painted in Phase III in with a pretty distinct style.

Many railfans nicknamed them "Pepsi Cans," probably because it resembles the Pepsi logo. Sadly, this unique paint scheme has been replaced with Phase IV (and later Phase V.) Nowadays, I think railfans call them "Diet Pepsi Cans."

Now that's what I expected to see!!

LA bound Starlight (with a few private coaches.)

Foggy Friday morning in northern Illinois:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.