Page 75 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Various Screenshots with no particular theme... Part 2020

Quote Originally Posted by claudie View Post
    Activity in progress,here's a few screenshots.
    Claude's shots above show TWO of THE biggest weaknesses of any of the Sims to date.

1) Really poor Night Environments

2) Inappropriate "People" placement during night or Seasonal runs.

Shot 2 above shows the first problem well. Towns apparently with major "blackouts"!!! No Street lighting, No Station lighting, No traffic lighting etc.

In shot 5 the believable day time Rail Fans at Horseshoe Curve are still standing there in Pitch Darkness...... As are passengers in Summer Wear on platforms covered in snow or pouring rain in many other routes.

The generally used night environments have little or no moonlight, which if you've ever ventured into the countryside at night when there is a clear sky and reasonably full moon is surprisingly bright. They didn't call it "A Bombers Moon" for nothing! The Moon often backlights clouds too making for an even more interesting night sky. Then there are the stars on a clear night.... etc.etc.

Personally it's why I never like Winter or Night acts as they really show the weakest parts of the Simulators. Passengers even stand unprotected on Platforms in Pouring rain too.

Not sure how any passenger placement might be "automated" or attire "adjusted" other than resorting to the RE if necessary? However some clever animations and automated changes have been created for other aspects within the Sim.

An area that really ought to be fixable is more realistic night time Town and City environments and lighting and I'm sure that some routes actually have car spawners with vehicle lights already?

This is NOT a criticism of Claudie's shots. They just happen to illustrate the issues well. I know some folk have done some work on the Urban and building night textures but it's not been widely seen as an essential modification in most routes. Of course it is a lot of work
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

"Personally it's why I never like Winter or Night acts as they really show the weakest parts of the Simulators. Passengers even stand unprotected on Platforms in Pouring rain too."
    I totally agree with you on this. In the recent past there were Cattle & Horses shown in only Summer Season, in Winter Environment they were absent.

Reguarding the Lighting in and around Towns, I like to utilize
    Vincent Lanz's fine lighting objects, selectively on or near buildings and RR Yards. It lends a sense of realism and life without disturbing Daytime running.

Not just lack of "proper" lighting, but objects that display too much light when they are supposed to be in the dark!
    I adjust my monitors settings as well as the cloud cover and fog to help, and use total cloud cover/dark cloud files as well - but still.....I shouldn't see a building or treeline a mile away in the country!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I agree the lighting and environment effects are still poorly outdated, even with OR. See example below. My city is lit up at night nicely, but it is far from perfect. The street lamp effect I don't like, but I don't hate it either. I wish there was a way to add code to the system so that lighting effects at night would look more presentable. Until that happens, imo, activities should be developed in daylight.

city01 by CN Edmonton, on Flickr
    Rory

Various shots in Bakersfield, CA.

Amtrak San Joaquins 713 departing Bakersfield station.

BNSF QRICCHI6 charging through with an NS unit in the lashup. 3917 is quite the smoker.

The rear of QRICCHI6.

San Joaquins 710 cruising towards the station.

UP IBRLC speeding out Bakersfield and towards the pass.

The rear DPUs of IBRLC.
    Blargen Fladibble Nohip!

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Claude's shots above show TWO of THE biggest weaknesses of any of the Sims to date.

1) Really poor Night Environments

2) Inappropriate "People" placement during night or Seasonal runs.

Shot 2 above shows the first problem well. Towns apparently with major "blackouts"!!! No Street lighting, No Station lighting, No traffic lighting etc.

In shot 5 the believable day time Rail Fans at Horseshoe Curve are still standing there in Pitch Darkness...... As are passengers in Summer Wear on platforms covered in snow or pouring rain in many other routes.

The generally used night environments have little or no moonlight, which if you've ever ventured into the countryside at night when there is a clear sky and reasonably full moon is surprisingly bright. They didn't call it "A Bombers Moon" for nothing! The Moon often backlights clouds too making for an even more interesting night sky. Then there are the stars on a clear night.... etc.etc.

Personally it's why I never like Winter or Night acts as they really show the weakest parts of the Simulators. Passengers even stand unprotected on Platforms in Pouring rain too.

Not sure how any passenger placement might be "automated" or attire "adjusted" other than resorting to the RE if necessary? However some clever animations and automated changes have been created for other aspects within the Sim.

An area that really ought to be fixable is more realistic night time Town and City environments and lighting and I'm sure that some routes actually have car spawners with vehicle lights already?

This is NOT a criticism of Claudie's shots. They just happen to illustrate the issues well. I know some folk have done some work on the Urban and building night textures but it's not been widely seen as an essential modification in most routes. Of course it is a lot of work
    Good point you got there,Geoff.
    Also,I notice that the cars in the parking lot are light up,strange,but the cars running in the street,don't.

Claudie.

Quote Originally Posted by tie View Post
    I agree the lighting and environment effects are still poorly outdated, even with OR. See example below. My city is lit up at night nicely, but it is far from perfect. The street lamp effect I don't like, but I don't hate it either. I wish there was a way to add code to the system so that lighting effects at night would look more presentable. Until that happens, imo, activities should be developed in daylight.

city01 by CN Edmonton, on Flickr
    But it's still a nice screenshot you took,Rory.

Claudie.

Quote Originally Posted by tie View Post
    All of this has been discussed some over on Elvas Tower. Here's my 2 cents.

Back in the MSTS days (when a lot of even our current routes were built), street lighting, etc. was often omitted, I believe, to lower the objects counts to what MSTS and those older computers could handle.

Talking about "light-cast," this points up the gross omission in MSTS that still exists in OR--the only thing that has a light cone definition is a leading locomotive headlight. That's how, in this realm, TS20XX can beat MSTS/OR's socks off in night rendition. Everything from locomotive truck lights to street lights can have light glows and casts in TS20XX. Why not in OR?

Finally, a lot of the poor look of night skies, etc. in OR (and MSTS) stems from the whole sky and weather design being inadequate. Of all the deficiencies in OR, that is probably the biggest--and one that has been discussed at length. The challenge for the OR team is that fixing skies and weather to be realistic is a MAJOR undertaking (look how long Microsoft has been fiddling with that in Flight Simulator) that the OR team simply does not have the volunteer time and expertise to really tackle. A long time ago, I suggested that it would be cool to adapt the weather and lighting effects found in some of REX Simulations products for Flight Simulator into the OR platform. I have no idea about the technical challenges for that, but I would be willing to pay reasonable price for a "REX-like" add-on that would make weather, sky, and lighting effects more realistic in OR. In the meantime, Rory has done about as good as job as can be done with his routes using the current tools available in OR to make night look realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhall View Post
    Talking about "light-cast," this points up the gross omission in MSTS that still exists in OR--the only thing that has a light cone definition is a leading locomotive headlight. That's how, in this realm, TS20XX can beat MSTS/OR's socks off in night rendition. Everything from locomotive truck lights to street lights can have light glows and casts in TS20XX. Why not in OR?

Finally, a lot of the poor look of night skies, etc. in OR (and MSTS) stems from the whole sky and weather design being inadequate. Of all the deficiencies in OR, that is probably the biggest--and one that has been discussed at length. The challenge for the OR team is that fixing skies and weather to be realistic is a MAJOR undertaking (look how long Microsoft has been fiddling with that in Flight Simulator) that the OR team simply does not have the volunteer time and expertise to really tackle. A long time ago, I suggested that it would be cool to adapt the weather and lighting effects found in some of REX Simulations products for Flight Simulator into the OR platform. I have no idea about the technical challenges for that, but I would be willing to pay reasonable price for a "REX-like" add-on that would make weather, sky, and lighting effects more realistic in OR. In the meantime, Rory has done about as good as job as can be done with his routes using the current tools available in OR to make night look realistic.
    Spot on, totally agree. I've spent hours messing with loco lighting (and smoke) trying to get some more realistic effects, but the current limitations make it impossible. There's a million things that could be worked on to make OR more realistic, but with so few doing the work, it's understandable that progress is slow. One thing I've wondered about (knowing nothing about how programmers operate or are hired) is whether a go fund me type setup is worth considering? I'm sure there's enough of us around that would be happy to tip in some money if that was the issue, but that might be an unrealistic suggestion for any number of reasons.
    Cheers!
    Pete

There's a bubble a bouncing and it's bouncing my way,
    There's two sticks in the powderworks I think it's gonna blow today.

I just downloaded the RMD West route about two weeks ago and just got around to running it and I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful routes I have downloaded before.

[IMG]rmdwest1 by Cade VerHage, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]rmdwest2 by Cade VerHage, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]rmdwest3 by Cade VerHage, on Flickr[/IMG]
    -Cade VerHage-
    New arrival to the Route Builder community
    Focusing on the railroads of the Midwest and Southeast (1920's-1970's)
    Huge Frisco Fan