Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (burgerbern) I am going to go dark for a while

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Might want to download and run Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

There is a free trial version that lasts two week before it turns into a manual version, you can buy it if you want to keep it active all the time.

First time I ran it I had just run Super Anti Spyware and it found 72 questionable files on my system.

Paul :-)
    However, as I recall, the free trial version is limited. It'll find all the badies, but to fix it, one needs to buy the program. Those who have the knowledge can read the error's and solve issues, but those that can't might still be stuck with the same problems and will have to decide if they want to buy the program.

Quote Originally Posted by frliss View Post
    By two step login are you talking about after login in with a strong password you then get a text with a random pass code to continue the login process? I know someone who has to go through that to get into their corporate computer.

Fred
    My cell phone provider is now doing 3 steps. 1. Email/password 2. The 2-3 security questions most site now ask when you sign up 3. A code sent via cell phone. All 3 have to be correct or it'll kick you off the site.

Malwarebytes is fully functional for the first two weeks. You can either pay for the professional version or keep using the free version but that drops it down to manual mode, it no longer runs in the background and stays active while you are online. You still can manually get every update the pro version gets, and scan you system just the same but you have to trigger that. And it does find any questionable file, gives you the choice to quarantine or delete the file, but I've never heard of it "fixing" anything that has become corrupt before, pro or free version.

Guys if you read my post you will see i said malwarebytes premium that is the fully functional paid version just been updated to version 4.04 as well, if it finds malware it gives you the options to ignor, quarantine and once in quarantine to delete it, it runs at startup every time and you can force it to do a scan any time you please, and as i said the problem is not in my machine its at the ISP

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

That sounds really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Malwarebytes is fully functional for the first two weeks. You can either pay for the professional version or keep using the free version but that drops it down to manual mode, it no longer runs in the background and stays active while you are online. You still can manually get every update the pro version gets, and scan you system just the same but you have to trigger that. And it does find any questionable file, gives you the choice to quarantine or delete the file, but I've never heard of it "fixing" anything that has become corrupt before, pro or free version.

Well...In my case when I tried it, I clicked on both quarantine and delete and got a message saying I needed to upgrade to the paid version. No big deal. I've used Norton for around 12 years now. It comes with my internet service so I don't have to buy the new version each year. So far I've had no major virus hit me (Norton catches it and will automatically quarantine it). And to date. I have not been a victim of having any of my accounts hacked.

There's a crop of malware out there now that embeds itself in your computer hardware. It can attack the low-level parts of the disk that aren't affected by a format, or even the BIOS. The worst ones now affect the Intel Management Engine within the CPU. In those cases, you need to buy a complete new computer and restore any data you use from backup. Thankfully, unless you're somebody who's being attacked by a nation-state, you probably won't get one of these. Probably.

When was the last time you did a backup, and do you keep one offline?

BEW_burgerbern Guest

do not know if he got to my account here or if i just messed up with all the password changing i was doing in order to protect things, but i have not been able to log in for a while now so i reregistered under this name and i have sent a message to nels to see if he can merge this with the old name of the old name with this one to get all my messages and friends back in my account, do not send any messages to me on the old account as the email address no longer exists on that one.

well folks thanks to Nels i am back in here as myself burgerbern again

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.