Thread: Southern Railway motive power

Question Southern Railway motive power

Would anyone on this board know of any good models Pay ware or freeware of SR locomotives? In particular I am looking for SD40 SD40-2s, U23Bs, B30-7s.

BLW/ZT have quite a few slightly earlier loco's but they're spread over several packs. These include

SD24's http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/SD24E.htm
    GP30's http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/GP30E2.htm
    GP35's http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/GP35E2.htm
    SD35's http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/SD35E.htm

Even if you have access to DW I don't think they ever did any High Nosed B23's or 30-7's ?

Their (somewhat bizarre?) obsession with Hi-Nosed loco's means that to my knowledge there have only been a few reskins of SLI types that included a FA to modify the original SLI model to a hi-nosed variant. Can't remember what roads these were done for but searching SLI in the file library ought to bring them up.

BTW I think if you ask, Gaetan might knock you up a custom pack of the relevant models from each of the above? In fact with those models alone they've almost got a Southern Loco Pack ready? Maybe not as modern as you were looking for?

Update...... Not SLI but nice KLW model.... sousd402-1.zip here in the lbrary.

BTW what Southern Routes are you using ...if any?
    Last edited by lateagain; Yesterday at 04:12 AM.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I opened this thread and expected to read about Bulleid Pacifics and 4 SUB EMU's.

I'll get my coat...

Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I opened this thread and expected to read about Bulleid Pacifics and 4 SUB EMU's.

I'll get my coat...

LMAO!!! If only they knew what they were missing Vern?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lateagain; Yesterday at 04:21 AM.
    Geoff
    UK

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I have ALL the BLW/ZT sets. I DO like there models and sets but for some odd reason (which I don't understand) they will not do ANY GEs. I've heard it said in this forum that we have always needed a good vendor that would do fallen flags U-BOATS! I might also mention that there is a good set of Southern SD45s in the library that someone did from an SLI BN 45 model.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I have ALL the BLW/ZT sets. I DO like there models and sets but for some odd reason (which I don't understand) they will not do ANY GEs. I've heard it said in this forum that we have always needed a good vendor that would do fallen flags U-BOATS! I might also mention that there is a good set of Southern SD45s in the library that someone did from an SLI BN 45 model.
    Not sure that any of the other payware vendors WON'T do any GE's. It's just that DW rather cornered the market before their spat with "you know who" and having now closed their site to all but a select few it's left a huge gap. Mind you there never has been any current State of the Art Baldwins or Fairbanks Morse models either so there's a whole range of interesting traction that anyone willing to model would probably find a ready market for. Of course State of the Art models aren't just "knocked up" between Morning Coffee and Lunchtime ...and BLW/ZT have probably done more in their range of models and roads than any other creator, payware or freeware so there's always going to be gaps unless some new players come on board and with many of them seduced by the eye-candy from DTG and other newer rail sims that's looking rather unlikely?

You didn't answer my question about what route you were running Southern stock on? As far as I can see there isn't one? Of course there are plenty of routes with similar scenery to other roads routes but not being much up on Southern I don't know what they'd be?

That's another aspect of available models that bugs me a little. Obviously folk are going to model what interests them? ....BUT and it's a big but IMO, surely modelling stock for the latest and best routes would be a good box to tick for any new projects? Good routes take much longer than stock to produce (I stress GOOD routes) and so there's time to research the road in question and look for what's missing? For rail fans in the UK and Europe none of the US/Canadian roads are "our local" and so the scenery and traffic is what will appeal.
    Geoff
    UK

Right now I'm only really tinkering with the Southern to see what I can come up with power and rolling stock wise. When I take a particular interest in a certain railroad be it fallen-flag or contemporary, Most times I have to fudge on the routes. In other words, take existing routes and make the LOOK like I think they might for that particular line or time frame. There only a very few routes in the library for Southern and sadly they are WAY outdated.