Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Default I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    No... its a perfect title
    Hi Pete,

As I’m a product of the 80’s - I liked it - although the catchy song with the same name really had nothing to do with Japan...

I have the valves on the steam lines in now - as well as the injector control links - and the blow downs - last thing on the shape is animating the bell which I should get done tonight - then off to the paint shop... Many details get added, tweaked, and modified as I paint - but I like having the basic shape near completion before I start painting...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    As I’m a product of the 80’s - I liked it - although the catchy song with the same name really had nothing to do with Japan...
    You would get the 70's music titles out of me for that, in fact I think I used a few on here before LOL.

It is looking great Scott. Looking at the last pics you posted, I forgot what a fine beast the Mikes were. They had some great lines to them.
    - Mark -

Default I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    You would get the 70's music titles out of me for that, in fact I think I used a few on here before LOL.

It is looking great Scott. Looking at the last pics you posted, I forgot what a fine beast the Mikes were. They had some great lines to them.
    Hi Mark,

Hah - I think we’re about the same age - my first record was a 45 with Bye Bye American Pie on it - LOL - played the crap out of it - I’ve owned 8-Tracks - I just identify more with the 80’s as that was more my coming of age...

Thanks - started texture mapping and I’ve learned a few new tricks with 3DC that are making my life much easier - it’s actually going pretty quick this time...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 02-21-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Hi Folks,

Been a few weeks since an update - mapping operations always slow me down but I am plodding through them - far less enjoyment than I get from throwing polys...

Doing this locomotive a bit different - instead of mirroring both sides of the boiler as I've done on other models - this one is going to have just about all the major components mapped to unique real estate on the texture… This will allow me to use real "texture baking" for a tad more pop on the final texture...

I found a great source for some new very high resolution textures and I like them... This is just the basic texture smoothly mapped - no details - gradients - shadows - seams - dirt - grime - or rivets yet... Still much to go...

Click for 2K HD Image
    POV48_Mapped by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

WOW !!! This one gets framed.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Scott, looks absolutely gorgeous! Since USRA 2-8-2's were sort of the SD40-2's of the WWI-1945 period - so many roads had them - all you need to do is slap on the appropriate lining, heralds (almost wrote "logos" but caught myself as nobody would have used *that* word back then ;-) and numbers and *voila* you've got a whole host of motive power for the whole country!

Well done, sir, well done!

David

Quote Originally Posted by woodfyr View Post
    WOW !!! This one gets framed.
    Hi Russ,

Thanks - not quite yet - but we're getting there...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Scott, looks absolutely gorgeous! Since USRA 2-8-2's were sort of the SD40-2's of the WWI-1945 period - so many roads had them - all you need to do is slap on the appropriate lining, heralds (almost wrote "logos" but caught myself as nobody would have used *that* word back then ;-) and numbers and *voila* you've got a whole host of motive power for the whole country!

Well done, sir, well done!

David
    Hi David,

Yeah - that's what I kind of figured - as I can't think of a more prolifically produced steam locomotive - should be able to use it for the New York Central to the Union Pacific with much of the in between covered as well... I'll make sure to include an unlettered texture sheet for those so inclined - though there's so few left who actually do any painting these days...

I'm planning three distinct model variations... This one is a Rutland and will have gold stripes down the sides of the running boards... A B&O variant will move the bell - move the headlight - and place a B&O herald in the center of the boiler... The final one is the L&HR which will add a second air compressor - move one of the air flasks - add a doghouse to the tender - and add a Worthington Type S feedwater heater system...

Thanks for the enthusiasm...

Regards,
    Scott

These even formed the basis of the 1300+ 141R class locos built for SNCF just after the war. A lot of differences, though, so that would be a whole different model!
    onen hag oll!

Hi Folks,

Another milestone for me - the locomotive is fully skinned - now this still isn't all the seams, rivets, shading, dirt, bolts, shadows, and details - all the stuff that gives it pop - but it's all textured...

There's still a few details to the shape that I plan to add but they'll go in as I'm detailing the textures...

Working on mapping the tender trucks now...

(Click for 2K HD Image)
    POV48_Mapped by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott