Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Default I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Hi Folks,

USRA 2-8-2 Mikado

I really wanted to start work on a B&M Steam locomotive - but - I think I'm committed now - there are just too many parts of my Consolidation I can recycle and use on this model and I wanted to make a staple that could be widely used... This is probably one of the most prolific models of steam locomotives ever made - so it can be fairly used and labeled for many roads... While the big railroads relegated these to branch line duty by the end of steam - some of the smaller roads used them heavily right up to the end... I plan on doing both Light and Heavy since the running gear is the same and I merely have to swap boilers...

Took me a little doing to figure out how that trailing truck was supposed to work...

And so it starts...

ORTS USRA 2-8-2 Mikado
    ORTS USRA 2-8-2 Mikado by Scott, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

Great news, Scott!

One of the things that floored me when I discovered train simming a decade ago was that there were so few standard steam designs in the f/l or available from payware vendors. Coming from model railroading, starting back in the mid-1960's, USRA and Pennsy steam locomotives were available in a number of forms (die-cast, hand-made brass, and later high-quality plastic) and were used by a broad base of the hobby. I was born just a tad too late to have witnessed steam in my locale (western NY), but loved learning about them and, perhaps just as importantly, the men and the culture that made those snorting, fire-breathing behemoths work like a Swiss watch.

Fast forward to virtual model trains: it's all diesel, and all-modern at that. Anything earlier than the 1970's? Ancient! So your new venture is like a breath of fresh steam ... let the USRA's begin! From the bottom of my boiler, thank you!!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We're kindred spirits - I never understood why steam gets so little attention over here - I get bored with driving diesels in the sim pretty quickly - if it weren't for steam locomotive models - I probably wouldn't be here... Think of the attention this thread would get if I were modeling the latest GEVO, PEVO, TEVO locomotive - LOL...

My very first foray into making a 3D Model was a full blown steam locomotive - just jump into the deep end why don't ya - I guess I wanted one pretty badly... Steam locomotives are arguably the most difficult model to make for TS due to the rod animations - perhaps that's what keeps people from taking the plunge ?

Yeah - while not as sexy as some - it is time to revisit the standards...

I fairly recently upgraded my monitor from a 19" 4:3 1600x1200 to a 32" 6:9 1440x2560 - OMG - I can't tell you how much of a difference this makes in modeling - I don't know how I got by before...

Throwing polys goes pretty quick - this model should hopefully go together relatively fast as I can recycle many parts I have already made... Shortly - I'll start throwing fully textured and completed components on the model - like the entire pilot and deck assembly - bell - lights - generator - compressors - air distribution - stoker - injectors - suspension - etc - - - which will be a massive time saver...

Thanks for the comments...

ORTS USRA Mikado Progress 2 by Scott, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 12-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Hi Folks,

Making Progress...

ORTS USRA 2-8-2 Light Mikado
    POV8 by Scott, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

Lookin Good !!
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Default I Think I'm Turning Japanese

Hi Russ,

Thanks - even after all these years of modeling - I’m still learning new tricks to model faster, better, and more efficiently... The frame and suspension is about as detailed as I get - next is the rest of the running gear and animating same - while I work on the remaining details and plumbing when I need a break... I’ll probably start roughing in the tender soon as well...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 12-20-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Scott she'll surely be another winner!! You know take your time, get it the way you want, there's always another day to finish her off!!

When I went to work in the R&T department at Southern in 1965, steam was long gone, except
    that soon we had the very well done SR steam program that continued until 1994 or so. Two
    engines were staples of that program, SR-4501, essentially a light USRA Mikado, although it was
    built well before the USRA period. The other was a 2-8-0. I learned to fire both, and under
    supervision, had a few hours of throttle time on the 4501. So, yes, we need the USRA types
    and so keep it up. You have a lot more skill than I do. Been a long time since I was around a
    standard gauge 2-8-2, but now my favorite is C&TS #489, narrow gauge of course.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the interest - yeah - we all just have skills in different areas - I’ve tried to lay tracks numerous times - while I know the basics - I just don’t have the knowledge of real world practices - knack - or - patience to do it well... Fitting all those tiny bits/parts together to make everything line up drives me crazy...

I got the driving rods, crosshead, and pistons in and fully animated last night - this animation is the most critical to do well as all other animations are based off of it...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year...

OK - working on pinning together the animations - massively time consuming - Wheels - Connecting Rods - Driver Rods - Crosshead/Piston Rods - Eccentric Cranks - Eccentric Rods - and Expansion Links are in and animated... Nice and smooth which is extremely important to me...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.