Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS Won't Install Under Windows 10

Default MSTS Won't Install Under Windows 10

I have two copies of MSTS, and both will not install under Windows 10. The first disk installs fine, but after changing disks, it simply hangs up at 27 percent. Any ideas?

Yes there is help.

Go here for install instructions.
    Use this ====> https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...g_msts_w7.html

Allowing MSTS to install to the default location will result in problems.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This sounds more like the Securom copy protection so no end of not installing to Program files will help overcome that, as Windows 10 will refuse to read the CD. The only solution is to have the installation files already on a USB stick or hard drive which overcomes the issue. And the only way to do that is to copy them via a computer that doesn't have Windows 10 installed on it.

Time to upgrade to TS2020 (Railworks) or Trainz 2019!
    Vern.

Actually, you could just try to copy all of the files from both CDs into a temporary folder and run the setup from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MCranmer View Post
    I have two copies of MSTS, and both will not install under Windows 10. The first disk installs fine, but after changing disks, it simply hangs up at 27 percent. Any ideas?
    Hi Mel, copy the two disks on a Folder of your Rig and starts the Install-Exe from this place. It works fine and faster.

look the answer of mmax45581
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael

Assuming that Securom permits copying of the CDs, which is why I said above - needs to be done on a non Windows 10 machine.
    Vern.

Win10-Machine with CD's of MSTS from 2001.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael

Hi All,
    There is no problem copying the contents of MSTS CDs into a temporary folder under Windows 10 - I have just tested using a fully updated v1903, with the original Microsoft CDs and those from Xplosiv.

The problem arises when trying to run setup.exe, even when set to "XP Compatibility mode" and "Run as an administrator". In my installation, the following message was displayed :
    Setup was unable to find (or could not read) the language specific setup resource dll, unable to continue. Please reboot and try again.
    Rebooting didn't help and neither did a couple of solutions I found on the 'net!

To get setup.exe to run successfully, I did the following, although it may not be the only solution :
    1. Convert the contents of the folder into a .iso file using Folder2ISO - the .iso file may be created anywhere.
    2. To run the .iso file, it needs to be 'mounted' and given a drive letter - if Win10 doesn't do that, use WinCDEmu
    3. Open the 'mounted' drive, run Setup.exe "as an administrator" and the normal MSTS installation menu is displayed.

Caveat : At this point, I did not continue with the installation as I already have a fully functioning MSTS setup and didn't want to corrupt it.

The required programs are both free :
    Folder2ISO : https://www.trustfm.net/software/uti...Folder2Iso.php
    WinCDEmu : https://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 12-15-2019 at 05:58 PM.

3 Cheers for Microsoft,Just Kidding! Brian

I found putting all the install files into the CD1 folder overcame any issues when the installer started looking for the second CD (i.e. copy the contents of CD2 into CD1).

3 Cheers for Microsoft,Just Kidding! Brian
    Indeed but that said, what reasonable expectation should there be that a programme which had the source code laid down getting on for 20 years ago should still work now? Far newer games have gone the way of the Dodo - original Mass Effect has the Securom issue, Freelancer no longer works, even GTA San Andreas one of the all time classic games has difficulty running.
    Vern.