Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSTS Won't Install Under Windows 10

The issue is simply that MS removed support for SecurROM, SafeDisc, and similar DRM systems in Windows 10.

MSTS uses one of them (if you don't apply the MS updates, you have to insert the CD to run the game). If you can get it to install by some other method (such as copying everything to a directory and running from there), then don't even try to run it: immediately apply the MS update (also available at steam4me; MS no longer provides it) which removes the DRM and no longer requires CD insertion.

Another method would be to create an .iso image as described above then (if necessary) attempt to remove the DRM with a No-CD crack. I have no experience with cracking that way, and it violates all sorts of laws, so I don't recommend it. Among other things, the crack tools almost all contain malware. But in a suitably isolated environment and ignoring legal issues it might work.

I've been able to install MSTS without issues in Win10 from ISOs created years ago as backups for the CDs. CDs do die or get damaged. I don't run it; I just install it for the content, though I did install the MS update because it not only fixes the DRM but also fixes some original content.

If you have an old machine running Windows 98 through 8 - install it there, then after running the MS update to (among other fixes) remove the DRM, move the files to the Win10 machine and manually add the registry entries if you want to use the editors. Pain in the neck, but if nothing else works...

The best way to deal with it, of course, is to switch to Open Rails and just use MSTS content as a support library for freeware. Minimizes the hassles.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 12-23-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: clarify some statements

Having received the original retail MSTS boxed version over Christmas, I just got some hands-on experience with disc 2 and its copy protection.

Disc 2 is protected with Safedisc 2.70.030, which uses corrupt/weak sectors on the CD and often causes issues with various CD-ROM drives. Additionally Windows update KB3086255, released in September 2015, disables Safedisc support in Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1, but you can still re-enable the driver. Windows 10 does not include the Safedisc driver at all. But this does not change the ability of your CD-ROM drive to read the disc or not, it only affects actually running an executable that uses the Safedisc driver.

In my case I was not able to read disc 2 at all on my current Windows 10 machine, probably because my CD-ROM drive can't handle the corrupt sectors. I still have a Windows 8 machine where the disc was readable after a few tries (eject/insert) and there I used a CloneCD trial with the "Protected PC Game" profile to create an ISO image ignoring the corrupt sectors.

I remember when installing the original version back in 2001, the 2nd disc would not work in my CD-ROM drive at the time either. I called Microsoft support and received replacement discs, which worked without any issue. I no longer have these discs, but I assume they were not copy-protected.

Continuing my research, I tested disc 2 of the Xplosiv version on my current machine which was not readable either. When migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I just copied over all MSTS files + registry entries, so I didn't run into this issue before.

To check the difference between the Xplosiv version and the Microsoft retail version, I installed both versions side by side (just delete the registry entries to trick the setup) and ran an MD5 checksum comparison. The Xplosiv version is indeed bit-for-bit the retail version + update 1.2/1.4 + 2 content updates, without the readme files from the individual updates. Only train.exe is a different v1.4 build with copy protection, and effectively does not start in Windows 10. The retail train.exe v1.0 does start and works fine.

Further reading:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDi...r_2000_-_2003)
    http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?tit...isc_protection
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255
    https://msts.steam4me.net/MSTS_Updates/index.html

Cool

Guys,

Looks like I'll be led kicking & screaming onto TSRE. Several issues here I wonder about. How do you copy registry entries.
    I currently have MSTS installed, along with 4 clones on a Win-7 machine with no problems, and I have two copies of MSTS
    discs, one being the original, which worked the last time I reloaded it, in 2015, and an Atari version that is still in shrink wrap,
    never opened. If I take my current install, and copy it, less routes, except the default ones, which is currently installed
    in a non-default directory, then is there a way to copy this install to the Win-10 set up, and if so, how do I handle the
    registry entries. Although I have experience with PCs, the Registry is a great mystery to me. My supplier would like me to
    migrate in the next 6 weeks or so. So in a word HELP before it is too late.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

A method that's worked well for a number of people is to just copy the files off of each disk into one folder. Copy the contents of Disc 1 and then the contents of Disc 2 into the same folder. (One or two files will be over-written; they have nothing to do with MSTS itself, just some aspect of the copy protection.)

Strangely, Windows 10 is more likely read Disc 2 in a file copy outside of the installer.

As long as all the files/folders from the discs are in one containing folder, the installer will run successfully.

Apply the 1.4 update, and you'll never need to load the physical discs.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Interesting EricF. I have my entire main MSTS directory backed up on a external drive, but it is the
    running copy, not a copy of the discs. I haven't checked to see, but a simple copy of the two discs
    should fit on a single DVD, so I wonder if you could installed from a DVD (or external drive) if you
    used those to store the copy of the original discs.

Jerry Sullivan

Colleagues,

Since it will be another 4-6 weeks before I am upgraded, I decided to follow EricF's comments and copy my install
    discs. Of my original MSTS set, now 18 years old+, the first disc copied fine, but the 2nd disc hung up on Europe2
    and would not proceed further, but then I did not get any indications of read errors either.

So I started over, using the Atari release set, which I had never removed from the shrink wrap. It is perhaps 17
    years old. Both discs read fine, and fast, so that created what I call the MSTS_INSTALL directory filled with the
    contents of the 2 discs. Only one file on the 2nd disc had to over-write one on the 1st disc, something about a
    000000.tmp file. Having done that, I burned this directory to a new DVD and set it aside, figuring that I could
    either install from the DVD, or copy it into a directory on the hard-drive, or use the directory already on my
    hard-drive which should not be affected by an upgrade as it is not on the "C" drive. Then to be as sure as I
    could be, I copied the directory to both of my external drives, that are not usually connected to the system.
    One is a FreeAgent 2T drive, and the other is a Toshiba 2.5T. Hopefully that will do it. The only other
    "tools" I would be concerned about are RouteRiter and DEMEX but I also have those installed on a 2nd PC
    that runs Win-XP and is not allowed to connect to the Internet or the WiFi. Any transfer of material, is done
    with a flash-drive. Those have become so cheap that I have a dozen or more of 32G capacity or more. Any
    time I edit a route, I back it up at the end of the day to a flash-drive, and then about every 2 weeks, I burn
    a DVD.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)