Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New route?

While not a big fan of MRL, if the Mullen pass route (with OR) has similar scenery along with winter and fall textures....I'm ALL in!

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    What a pity Mullan Pass is for OR only.
    Without OR, Mullan would require dramatically thinner, less realistic scenery, the trains would have less realistic physics performance (we have spent a lot of time getting realistic tractive effort curves on the big AC motors), frame rates would be awful, and a slew of other reasons. As has been said before, this is hardly a profitable venture. With routes, you usually make a tiny, tiny fraction of minimum wage at the end of the day, and you may end up taking a loss considering the amount of driving, hotel rooms, misc. travel costs, purchasing of research materials, and of course the opportunity cost of the time spent working on it that could've been spent doing other things. This is truly a labor of love, and I don't regret making it. After the years already spent, when I consider the massive amount of extra time it would take to make a version functional in MSTS, and the immense loss of quality that would result, it is simply not worth it to us folks who also have full-time jobs, families, and want to still have a little bit of free time in our lives every once in a while. I do not at all resent those who wish to stick to MSTS for their various reasons, but this is the reality of the situation.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

If I could get OR to work properly without much messing about :Cannot get brakes off,sounds are rubbish,views are useless (why could they not make them the same as MSTS...remember the kiss principle),I would use it.So I will just have to get on with what I have.

There are thousands of OR users who have not reported any such problems. Perry Platypus and the Trainsimulations team are making this route for them.

Don't know whats your problem with Open Rails... I don't... Maybe you need to learn a little bit more in detail on how OR works.. MSTS is completely bleeding off to dry in a slow death. So, with all new materials coming, everything is going straight off to OR..

If I could get OR to work properly without much messing about :Cannot get brakes off,sounds are rubbish,views are useless (why could they not make them the same as MSTS...remember the kiss principle),I would use it.So I will just have to get on with what I have.
    Dave Edwards

views are useless (why could they not make them the same as MSTS...remember the kiss principle)
    I'll tell you why the camera views aren't the same. We are still waiting for someone to show us how 'droning' like this is possible in MSTS.

https://youtu.be/3a-iDSqECyk?t=969

I've been watching my Open Rails video uploads on the gigantor TV via the youtube app on the Roku. They looked nice on the big screen without needing a computer in the room. You can even show them off when you are away at a relatives house for the holidays. This is marketing 101, people, showcasing great content to a new audience that visits streaming sites all the time but certainly does not spend time here listening to these silly regressive arguments.

It produces greater dividends when you impress new people rather than preach to the dead wood.

My ONLY complaint with Open Rails is with switching cars and making up trains. I know there are A-LOT of folk out there that love the new realism that comes with OR but I'm not one of them. I doubt it's even possible, but I wish there were some sort of version that would allow going back to the MSTS way of adding or removing cars. I'm NOT knocking all the work that went into this said realism but for those of us that simply run trains anymore, it's just not as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    ...we have spent a lot of time getting realistic tractive effort curves on the big AC motors
    Hi Sean, Merry Christmas, thanks for all the work on the route ( the progress photos you've posted at ET are stunning). I was wondering if you could share any AC traction curves with me...my curves for the Std Engine files are very basic entry level traction curves...and I would love to see what you've come up with. PM me here or at ET.
    Thanks, Gerry Storey
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

If I knew how to get the thing to work,I would do so !

Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    My ONLY complaint with Open Rails is with switching cars and making up trains. I know there are A-LOT of folk out there that love the new realism that comes with OR but I'm not one of them. I doubt it's even possible, but I wish there were some sort of version that would allow going back to the MSTS way of adding or removing cars. I'm NOT knocking all the work that went into this said realism but for those of us that simply run trains anymore, it's just not as fun.
    I personally think the developers went the right way with the sim. Though the 'new realism' is the default, they've also considered the people (like me) that care less for that side of the 'business'. I usually use the 'shortcuts' to simplify matters: brake initialization, setting and releasing handbrakes, connecting and disconnecting brake hoses.

Wim