Thread: Passing sidings and passenger trains

Question Passing sidings and passenger trains

I'm a newbie, so please be patient with me. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. I've been able to set up some activities involving passenger trains running on both single and double track mainlines. I've been able to set up some freight traffic going the opposite direction, so it doesn't seem to be slow lonely... I can set up a service for running a freight train ahead of my passenger train, but I seem to figure out how to set it up so the "dispatcher" will put the slower freight on a siding to let my faster passenger train.. I've tried different passing paths and etc, On double track mainlines, I tried setting up a path where the freight would go onto the passing siding and pause for like 300 or 600 seconds to let me pass, But I still find myself "riding yellows" behind the frieght. I guess that's what working for the real amtrak must be iike! Thanks

Post Wait Points can control signals

Place a Wait Point (WP) just short of the siding exit. Route the same direction traffic into the siding. When traffic gets to the WP it will wait the specified time and then the traffics path will, if mainline has not grabbed the path, extend back onto the main.

You'll have to 'best guess' the amount of time set for the WP. If your train is 5 minutes behind the freight running on greens then a 2 second wait will do as no wait is necessary . . . but if you are getting close to the freight and running into yellows then you want a 30 second or so wait time.
    This gives your path the time, assuming you are moving, to extend ahead past the freights siding exit.
    This can be seen in the **Dispatcher Window.
    I used this method, a WP before the interlocking signals on the PRR-East activities to control the AI Traffic running both directions.

** If you're running Open Rails you can use Dispatcher Window ( invoke with Ctrl + 9 and use Alt + Tab to switch between windows.)
    ( I recall that WP's don't work in MSTS )

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 12-22-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

You can use WPs in MSTS,they do work for me;or you can use two reversing points just before the exit signal from the siding,as long as the player train is close behind the AI.The AI train must cover both RPs at once.I cannot remember where this was originally posted....age !

I think I've found a bug where the freight train is not obeying the wait point...
    Now I've set it up so the freight path starts at the same time as the passenger train, and about 7 miles in front of my passenger train. After about a mile and a half, I have the freight path set up to go unto the passing siding, and a WP setup just before the passing siding merges back onto the main. I've tried wait times of 300, 600 and even 1800 seconds. Each time I arrive at the passing siding to find it empty, and as I approach the end of the empty siding, I hit a red light....

Are you using MSTS? Wait Points have erratic operation so as Ragtimer says, a double reverse point is needed. A DRP will block the path until triggered.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Are you using MSTS? Wait Points have erratic operation so as Ragtimer says, a double reverse point is needed. A DRP will block the path until triggered.
    Yeah, It's MSTS.... What's odd is if I reopen the activity in the editor and attempt to modify the wait time, the default of "0" (zero) appears in the dialog box, I don't know if it's not saving the wait time properly, or if the editor isn't reading in the wait time and filing that dialog box with the previous value. .

Like I said, WP's im MSTS have erratic operation, generally pretty bad. They do not interrupt the path thus do not prevent the path from proceeding through a signal thus blocking a path from, in your case, the player train.

Where is your MSTS program installed? If it's in the default location you may have problems caused by windows security.

The default install location is C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator. With ant operating system after Win7 this install location will cause endless problems.
    Proper install instructions can be found here

regards,