Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trainsimulations CN Rual route doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think Ruel is majestic, perfect at capturing the reality of the grueling slog of single track mainline transcontinental railroading through remote parts of Canada. It's hosted both freight and passenger operations at virtually any time point in history up to present day and is an essential and busy link in the CN network.

I recently completed a round trip winter passenger run (made the consists and activities in the super easy to use AE and Consist builder from Goku) and I loved watching the consist glide along the rivers and lakes and snowcovered swamps, past far flung hamlets and solitary chalets, and furiously try and make up time after being sidelined twice in a row westbound.

I own the Seligman 1990's version and feel the same about it. I think there is absolutely a place for these type of remote trans-con routes in the arsenal of a modern day Openrails installation. When done as well as the Ruel, and run with interesting high quality latter day MSTS or ORTS rolling stock, activities on the route can be quite enjoyable.

That said, a new (not necessarily present day) end-to-end intercity run built with OR optimized assets, offering tons of freight and passenger opportunities, is absolutely begging to be done.

I wish Trainsimulations or someone at that level could do the Kingston Sub set in the 1980-90's over 2 parts, splitting the route at the namesake midpoint. I know, its asking an awful lot...

I think that the original point to this thread was that a "Better Route could have been chosen to Showcase the DDS textures and Optimized OR Assets. lrc2 made a lot of good points about a desolate but interesting route.

A route such as NEC or a totally new one like CNR Kingston Sub would definitely showcase the awesome power and abilities available to Open Rails Operators.

I take it you gents wanting to see the Kingston Sub missed this post

https://www.facebook.com/trainsimula...type=3&theater

Geepster, right after I posted in here, I poked around that active New Route thread and noticed it! Great news, and looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I take it you gents wanting to see the Kingston Sub missed this post

https://www.facebook.com/trainsimula...type=3&theater
    Saw that a while ago. The Kingston Sub would be a great addition with Open Rails & TS. A more complete route would be if it started at Union Station, replacing/improving/renewing MTL's GTA & GTA-Oshawa Routes. This would give us Canuks a chance to run a great variety of Freight/Passenger/Inter-City (GO-Metrolinx)/Intermodal/Way-Freight over a wide spectrum of years using a wide variety of Rolling Stock from Budd-Cars to Tier-4 Units.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Saw that a while ago. The Kingston Sub would be a great addition with Open Rails & TS. A more complete route would be if it started at Union Station, replacing/improving/renewing MTL's GTA & GTA-Oshawa Routes. This would give us Canuks a chance to run a great variety of Freight/Passenger/Inter-City (GO-Metrolinx)/Intermodal/Way-Freight over a wide spectrum of years using a wide variety of Rolling Stock from Budd-Cars to Tier-4 Units.
    CN-Kingston sub and CP-Belleville sub that are not far away from one another...from Toronto ( Union Station, CN McMillan yard, CP Toronto yard and the connecting subs ) to Montréal (CN and CP yards, CN Central Station and CP Windsor station and connecting subs)....am I day-dreaming again?

Probably I am. But that was and almost is still the busiest corridor in Canada. That would see today's Via trains, CN and CP general merchandise and fast intermodals, some from Halifax, not to mention all the choice of past and present rolling stock, including the Turbo train, the various EMD, ALCO/Bombardier locomotives.

So i agree with Don6218...any other dreamers?

Michel

Yes, Michel! I like to dream............
    This would be a route that would/could allow anything from Ten-Wheelers to Tier-4's pulling whatever they did/do. The route itself has not changed much as far as location over the years, and it would be suitable to run almost anything available as Free-Ware. Paul Charland, for one, as well as many fine Canadian Diesels from here and MLT would have a good High-Speed/Low-Speed/Switching-Way-Freight Route that would be very flexible as to Era and Trains used.
    We have and do see trains from BNSF, Wabash, New York Central, Michigan Central, CPR, CNR, TH&B, Boston & Maine, ONR and AMTRAK and so many others by detour or schedule.

As long as we are dreaming....what about an updated Niagara Corridor (CN Dundas sub) and extending it to the Strathroy sub (London-Sarnia ending at the St Clair Tunnel and the Sarnia yard?

So dont buy it, and run another route that has more of what your looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Yes, Michel! I like to dream............
    This would be a route that would/could allow anything from Ten-Wheelers to Tier-4's pulling whatever they did/do. The route itself has not changed much as far as location over the years, and it would be suitable to run almost anything available as Free-Ware. Paul Charland, for one, as well as many fine Canadian Diesels from here and MLT would have a good High-Speed/Low-Speed/Switching-Way-Freight Route that would be very flexible as to Era and Trains used.
    We have and do see trains from BNSF, Wabash, New York Central, Michigan Central, CPR, CNR, TH&B, Boston & Maine, ONR and AMTRAK and so many others by detour or schedule.
    Is anybody interested in another western canadian route- say The Edson sub from Edmonton (Carvel)to Edson in the foothills region of Alberta? Dual main track.
    Rory