Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shape file manager help

Default Shape file manager help

So i'm trying to set up SFM but every time I launch it, it keeps saying "Unable to locate the FFEDITC_UNICODE.EXE program required for the compress/uncompress option."

Dose this have something do with me using OR and not MSTS and if so, is there an alternative free program I can use?

I gave up on cfm on Windows 10 and am using MSTS ReCompiler instead. Search for recmp119.zip in the file library here on trainsim.

It has some quirks, but it works just fine if you:
    - confirm the target file each time you use either the comp or decomp programme. If not, it wil overwrite the last created target file.
    - close the comp or decomp programme after using it. If not, strange things happen with the target file.

Wim

Ffeditc_unicode.exe is part of MSTS and usually located in the subfolder UTILS\FFEDIT\ in your MSTS folder structure. So if you don't have MSTS installed, you probably won't have it.
    Now, there may be a similar error if you didn't install the .net framework version 1.1, which is needed for SFM to work properly.
    If you did install .NET 1.1, and can't locate an ffeditc_unicode.exe, you may want to use the program Archibald, included in the tk_utils package by Okrasa Ghia (available in the file library), to do all of the uncompressing stuff you would have needed ffedit for.
    If you could locate ffedit you may drop it into the same folder as SFM and see if it works now.
    Travel where imagination takes you. – Æ

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Ffeditc_unicode.exe is part of MSTS and usually located in the subfolder UTILS\FFEDIT\ in your MSTS folder structure. So if you don't have MSTS installed, you probably won't have it.
    Now, there may be a similar error if you didn't install the .net framework version 1.1, which is needed for SFM to work properly.
    If you did install .NET 1.1, and can't locate an ffeditc_unicode.exe, you may want to use the program Archibald, included in the tk_utils package by Okrasa Ghia (available in the file library), to do all of the uncompressing stuff you would have needed ffedit for.
    If you could locate ffedit you may drop it into the same folder as SFM and see if it works now.
    I'm gonna try using Archibald, as i really don't feel like messing with SFM right now.
    So how do i use Archibald anyways?

Archibald is included in the " tk_utils.zip" package in the library here. There is a readme with instructions on how to use it included. Archibald is capable of editing shapefiles without having to compress/decompress them. Excellent little utility.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    Archibald is included in the " tk_utils.zip" package in the library here. There is a readme with instructions on how to use it included. Archibald is capable of editing shapefiles without having to compress/decompress them. Excellent little utility.
    Just went over the readme and it didn't really go over how to use it, More like a basic idea of what Archibald is capable of.

The issue i'm having is that i'm trying to modify the SD90MAC shape file that was included in Danny Becks file donations.

archie.jpg
    So Here's where i'm at right now.
    (Hope the image is big enough.)

If my memory is right, isn't FFEDITC_UNICODE.EXE also available in the route riter package?

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    If my memory is right, isn't FFEDITC_UNICODE.EXE also available in the route riter package?
    NO, sir!

Cheers,
    Ged

impossible to read anything in that picture. However, once Archibald has read the file and reached the point you show, you need to expand the file tree in the usual Windows manner. Click the box with a plus sign and everything under it becomes visible. The first click will get you the various main sections of the file and each section if clicked will show in the same manner. Select what you want to change, make the change in the right side window and save.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Is there a way to make the picture bigger?

Anyways. There's no box with a plus sign to be found and it seems that ever .s file that i run through Archie keeps throwing up an "ILLEGAL_DATA" message with the file text being red.