Thread: ZosaTrains FL9 Braking Issue

Default ZosaTrains FL9 Braking Issue

Hello - Forgive me if this has already been resolved elsewhere but I recently downloaded the FL9 pack to a fresh install of MSTS and like many discovered the engines are near impossible to stop. After running thru the forums here and using all of the proposed .ENG file alterations I've been unable to have any appreciable difference in the performance of these units. Was there ever a solution found or posted to the library I have not come across?

I have several years of experience with MSFS products and their .AIR files, but when it comes to MSTS Im sort of flying blind on the assumption that the system and the internals are set up similarly. Its certainly possible that I'm overlooking a simple step when modifying the .ENG file for these units. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Hello @yeppers,

Just as a disclaimer I may not be the most experienced person in this subject of ENG file modification, but hopefully I can help.

First, I want to confirm that you're not able to stop the locomotives under any braking application (independent, air, dynamic, push-button-emergency) whatsoever, regardless if running light or with a consist? I'm interested to know if the sim is responding to any brake application at all.

EK

I recall there being a fix or patch for this being made available some time ago but could not find it on my local MSTS installation - however, I did locate the thread below here in the TrainSim forums, this might possibly be the source of the 'patch' that I was recalling.

Anyways, maybe this link will be of help to you.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-Braking-issue

Let me take a look. If there's a patch I'll post it here. If not, I'll create one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@ ekeating
    Confirming that with all the locos included with the download are extremely difficult to stop. Seems like when running by themselves or when hauling a consist the only brake that functions is the locomotive brake and barely at that.

@ trs666
    Yep, that was the thread I was last using to modify the .ENG file, but found the suggested edits did not effect brake performance, which leads me to think I'm probably missing a key step somewhere to make the edits 'stick' to the model, sorta like changing a .DP file in CFS2 doesn't actually change the DP unless you delete the cached DP file.

@ rfranzosa
    Thanks so much for taking a look!

Quote Originally Posted by yeppers View Post
    @ ekeating
    Confirming that with all the locos included with the download are extremely difficult to stop. Seems like when running by themselves or when hauling a consist the only brake that functions is the locomotive brake and barely at that.

@ trs666
    Yep, that was the thread I was last using to modify the .ENG file, but found the suggested edits did not effect brake performance, which leads me to think I'm probably missing a key step somewhere to make the edits 'stick' to the model, sorta like changing a .DP file in CFS2 doesn't actually change the DP unless you delete the cached DP file.

@ rfranzosa
    Thanks so much for taking a look!
    I investigated, and while there were two upgrades to these locomotives from the initial Dick Cowen/ZosaTrains release, it doesn't look like there was ever a patch for the brake issue.

I have an updated ENG file which improves the brake performance in Open Rails. Problem is, I do not have a working version of MSTS to test it on. I can send it to you if you can PM your email address to me.

Hello! Thanks again. Shoot me over a PM and I'll see if I can get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by yeppers View Post
    Hello! Thanks again. Shoot me over a PM and I'll see if I can get it to work.
    Thanks for reporting this. I have uploaded a new version of this pack to the filelib with all fixes applied. Should be online in the next day or two.

@yeppers, thanks for both alerting me and testing the fix.

@trs666, thanks for your help as well... as always!

Rick