Thread: OR Derailment

Default OR Derailment

Hi everyone, I recently downloaded a Dutch route and enthusiastically set out to explore it. Being familliar with the real-life route I was curious how acurate the scenery would be. It was really well done and I enjoyed running a diesel passenger unit when quite unexpectedly the train derailed whilst negotiating a "double slip switch"! I've been led to believe that derailments are not possible in Open Rails so I was surprised when this did actually happen. No, I hav'nt tampered with the screenshot, nor have I placed the unit as a static object! I would like to share these screenshots with you. Regards, Robert Wouters - The Netherlands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rwouters View Post
    hi everyone, i recently downloaded a dutch route and enthusiastically set out to explore it. Being familliar with the real-life route i was curious how acurate the scenery would be. It was really well done and i enjoyed running a diesel passenger unit when quite unexpectedly the train derailed whilst negotiating a "double slip switch"! I've been led to believe that derailments are not possible in open rails so i was surprised when this did actually happen. No, i hav'nt tampered with the screenshot, nor have i placed the unit as a static object! I would like to share these screenshots with you. Regards, robert wouters - the netherlands.

really interesting.
    This doesn't happen in open rails
    Chimbica Dash8

Quote Originally Posted by anderson martins View Post
    really interesting.
    This doesn't happen in open rails
    Hi, I know that Open Rails does'nt allow derails but I'm definately running MSTS under Open Rails so I re-ran the route to see what could have caused this. As it turns out, the right hand turn-out of the double slip switch was not directly connected to the following section of track. There was a gap which in real life would be about three foot. Normally, in such a case in Open Rails a train would just stop dead on the spot but I assume open rails tried to "correct" the train's path, that is to say, take the other turn-out which, I can only assume, led to the derailment. As you can see in the screenshot, the front bogie went one way and the rear bogie, the other. Interestingly enough, I have seen that happen in real life many years ago in a rail yard where a wagon of a freight train derailed in the same manner. Thanks for your reply.

Hi, I know that Open Rails does'nt allow derails but I'm definately running MSTS under Open Rails...
    You are suffering from a common misconception, you are not "running MSTS under Open Rails". Open Rails is an entirely separate simulator and executable...that is able to run legacy routes and equipment originally made for MSTS. So you are running Open Rails. I remember seeing some threads about your problem...also about MSTS wagons with bogies that were designed in a certain way that when rendered in OR that appeared at angles to the track. Anyway, you seem to have solved your problem...have fun with Open Rails.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    You are suffering from a common misconception, you are not "running MSTS under Open Rails". Open Rails is an entirely separate simulator and executable...that is able to run legacy routes and equipment originally made for MSTS. So you are running Open Rails. I remember seeing some threads about your problem...also about MSTS wagons with bogies that were designed in a certain way that when rendered in OR that appeared at angles to the track. Anyway, you seem to have solved your problem...have fun with Open Rails.
    Hello Gerry. I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have said that I have MSTS installed and let OpenRails run the trains and routes? I've solved the derailment issue by "welding" a piece of (dynamic) track to bridge the gap and now I'm able to take the right hand turn-out without any problems. Thank you for your reply.

Hello Gerry. I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have said that I have MSTS installed and let OpenRails run the trains and routes? I've solved the derailment issue by "welding" a piece of (dynamic) track to bridge the gap and now I'm able to take the right hand turn-out without any problems. Thank you for your reply.
    A most kind reply to a bit of nitpicking. I did not know how experienced you were with either MSTS or OR and many new users of OR can be a little befuddled as to how OR and MSTS relate to each other. I see you joined in 2002 --- I'm very much playing catch-up in the experience department. Cheers, Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

A most kind reply to a bit of nitpicking. I did not know how experienced you were with either MSTS or OR and many new users of OR can be a little befuddled as to how OR and MSTS relate to each other. I see you joined in 2002 --- I'm very much playing catch-up in the experience department. Cheers, Gerry
    No problem. My Daughters gave me MSTS in 2002. Whilst I enjoyed trains and routes that I'm familliar with, I was always dissapointed with the graphics and more so the frame rates. A few years ago I purchased a custom made computer to run Flight simulator and it blew me away. Unfortunately there was no improvement in MSTS, in fact, it was even worse than before. I therefore took a "gamble" on OpenRails giving beter results. Well, I hav'nt looked back since. Where I was only averaging around 10fps in dense scenery, I now average between 50 and 60fps. It's amazing that Train Simulator is today just as enjoyable as it was almost twenty years ago. more enjoyable in fact. My gratitude to all those who worked to make OpenRails what it is today. Cheers - Robert.

Robert, if you want more graphics options start using OR monogame ( 64 bit capabilities ) that can use ReShade --- very much an improvement over plain vanilla OR. Regards, Gerry

Robert, if you want more graphics options start using OR monogame ( 64 bit capabilities ) that can use ReShade --- very much an improvement over plain vanilla OR. Regards, Gerry
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.
    Cheers - Robert