Thread: Is it possible to merge just trackwork from two routes?

Default Is it possible to merge just trackwork from two routes?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to merge just the track work from one route into another? Not the terrain or tiles, Just the tracks?

Robert

If it's the same quad tree, I'd think so.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I'm working on the Surfliner. I recently received a PM regarding my efforts to add LATC into Jeff's route. Turns out someone else is working a mega route and has the portion I am trying to do. It would be easier to just merge the track work rather than the tiles. Jeff has a fully detailed route. The other author only has terrain and tracks. But the track is complete and has all the areas I am wanting to add into the Surfliner. Some of them can be a royal pain to do from scratch. There is a significant gradient as well as a multitude of curves and switches of several different kinds. Not fun to layout from scratch.

Robert

Another question is do you have anything on those tiles you want to merge into already? If so, you'll probably have to do some .w file editing to make that work. Not fun

Hi Travis,

I wanted to merge the track work from one route into another. One route is just terrain and tracks. Another route is fully done and scenic work is complete.

I wanted to just merge the track and then work on fixing any issues like misaligned or disconnected sections of track work.

Robert

I just finished doing that with my Virginian route (started by Simon). I had included the N&W from just west of the jugneck
    curve to Roanoke since it parallels the Virginian and after the merger some parts operate as double track, other parts of the
    Virginian are abandoned. I thought it might be desirable to just extend the N&W to BlueField and I had done the Bluefield
    yard (tracks only) already for another route under "construction". As I only had track in both routes, it was a relatively
    simple matter to use DEMEX to generate terrain for the extended area (about 10 miles further west) and then copy the
    existing world files with track into the Virginia route. Slight misalignment to fix at the tile boundary, and other than that it
    was just a matter of selecting each new track piece & de-selecting to add it to the track database - I use MSTS/RE still.
    Dynamic track, of which the yard has some, is a problem, so what I did there was locate the dynamic track in the route
    to be copied & note the parameters of each piece. Then after copying and expanding the world file, I went in with an
    editor and removed the dynamic track items. Then I went into RE and added them back, to insure that they are added
    to the dynamic track data as well. There are 10 world files involved and the whole process took about 3 hours.

J. H. Sullivan

Interesting.

Unfortunately copying the world files and tiles would replace the fully detailed route that I wish to add only the track from another route into. The issue though is the alignment is off quite bit between the two routes. A lot of tracks would end up being moved around.

At this point, It might just be easier to lay out the track using the position and grade info from the other route.

How do you note each track pieces data to copy and paste into another route to keep the alignment and gradient info?

Robert

1. Verify the donor route tiles do not overlap the tiles in the route you are copying them to
    2. Copy the donor route .w files to your own. Or even just do a route merge with route riter
    3. Open in TSRE. Jump to the location with the donor, and select all the track pieces you want to copy
    4. Copy them & paste into the already populated tile that you need them in

Might be a moot point given the alignment mismatch, but I did just check with WFH and it will also allow individual W files to be merged into a route. It intentionally ignores TrackObj's and interactives, but will bring in gantry, static, forest, and transfer objects.