Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: PRR is getting lengthy

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Neither version of the PRR East Region can be considered abandonware, they are still the property of those who built or modified them. That said, I can see nothing on either readme file that specifically bans modifying and releasing. I would however suggest that you contact whoever is responsible for the version you are using to make sure there is no problem with you releasing your modified version.
    Good idea, I'll check the readme file.

Quote Originally Posted by gusthegator View Post
    Good idea, I'll check the readme file.
    BTW What version was this built on PRRV1? PRRV1 with updates? PRRV2?
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

PRRV2. TDB was a lot cleaner to work with.

Having the NEC from end to end many times for work I for one would love to have this available. The folks who started the PRR Eastern div and especially Vince have done a terrific job on that route. For those with a deep affection for the PRR this is that standard. However, if I could just have the NEC from DC to Boston with Harrisburg thrown in I would be a happy man. For now the last version of MBTA, the Metro North, NEC (Vince version) and the PRR fulfill my Northeast fix.

Quote Originally Posted by necrails View Post
    Having the NEC from end to end many times for work I for one would love to have this available. The folks who started the PRR Eastern div and especially Vince have done a terrific job on that route. For those with a deep affection for the PRR this is that standard. However, if I could just have the NEC from DC to Boston with Harrisburg thrown in I would be a happy man. For now the last version of MBTA, the Metro North, NEC (Vince version) and the PRR fulfill my Northeast fix.
    The result of this improvement:
    The Entire SEPTA Regional Rail System.
    Most NJT Lines
    Entire Northeast Corridor
    CSAO South and North Jersey
    NS Pittsburgh Line
    CSX Capitol Sub
    Washington Metro Orange and Green Lines
    NS Perryville Branch Detour
    MBTA NEC Line
    Many more!

Holy heck. Now we really need Open Rails.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

Holy heck. Now we really need Open Rails.
    Turns out you don't need Open Rails . . . yet.
    Right now you need TSRE and at least a year or more to dedicate to installing proper scenery and signals between New York and Boston. Get that done and I will repair all the presently broken PRR activities.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Neither version of the PRR East Region can be considered abandonware, they are still the property of those who built or modified them. That said, I can see nothing on either readme file that specifically bans modifying and releasing. I would however suggest that you contact whoever is responsible for the version you are using to make sure there is no problem with you releasing your modified version.
    Baldwin,

In the original release of the PRRv1 in the PRRBeta.zip file on here there is the PRR-ERFAQ.rtf file. On question #7 that states "Can I extend the route or modify it for distribution in a different format ?" & the answer they give is:

No. Because this project involves a crew of at least 10 different route builders over a period of several years, some have refuse to grant this permission. You modify the route for your own pleasure at your own risk. It took custom written software to clean up the mess that resulted from the merger. In fact, we recommend that you do not check the route with Route Riter as the size of this route will cause that utility to crash or resulted in deleted files needed for the route. We have also gutted the ref file in order to protect the copyrights of those who produced custom scenic objects for this route. Due to the total number of shapes used in this route, Route Riter is unable to properly reconstruct the ref file.

Wouldn't that constituted that you can't release the modified version. Even if it is done in PRRv2 because it still uses the objects of the original route?
    - Mark -

Very true Mark!
    I have no plans to do any more work on the PRR-East, The proposed extension with modern stations added (while failing to re-configure the signalling system from old to new) will never fly with me as I am dedicated to preserving the 1950's era depicted in the present PRR-East v2. Any attempt to change it to 'modern' is a non-starter with me.

The PRR-East is what the original authors intended and I will never change that.

I was sent a copy of this 'extended NEC' but after looking it over with new modern stations added I cannot do any work on it or pass it on to someone else.

I'm back to building the LIRR.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I concur, and revise my previous statement. I would point out however, that my copy of the version 1 does not include that particular FAQ file because I was a beta tester and have a pre-release version of the route with manual updates. I never downloaded the route from here.

I do not see that FAQ in v2 of the route either.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Turns out you don't need Open Rails . . . yet.
    Right now you need TSRE and at least a year or more to dedicate to installing proper scenery and signals between New York and Boston. Get that done and I will repair all the presently broken PRR activities.

regards,
    Then for goodness sakes, IMPORT IT FROM THE USAX AND MBTA ROUTES!!!!!!!
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!