Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No play without disc.

Default No play without disc.

A re-installation of Train Sim requires a disc in the tray to run. The previous setup ran without. Is there a fix to run with no disc ?

Thanks.

Terry.

Please download install the 1.4 update and then install BIN afterwards. You can get them here: https://msts.steam4me.net/utilities/index.html
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hello. Thanks I will. I must ask - what is BIN ? I'm doing this for a friend who, despite having the traim sim, isn't computer literate & I'm a novice here. I have MS Flight Sim 2004 btw. HOWEVER, the BIN you mention is something I'm ignorant of........
    Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
    Hello. Thanks I will. I must ask - what is BIN ? I'm doing this for a friend who, despite having the traim sim, isn't computer literate & I'm a novice here. I have MS Flight Sim 2004 btw. HOWEVER, the BIN you mention is something I'm ignorant of........
    Terry.
    An edit of Train.exe adding features. See https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forumd...-MSTS-Bin-Help
    Charles

I see .... thank you. My train friend tells me the Golden Arrow is kept not far away at Swanage here in Dorset....... an unannouced visit is called for I think!
    Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
    HOWEVER, the BIN you mention is something I'm ignorant of........
    Terry.
    Binary mod of the MSFT Trainsim exe file. You can download and get install instructions from the page I linked to
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Yes, I have the downloads. I have also replied to Charles' answer but it hasn't appeared.....................

I'm hoping to install the files you pointed me to tomorrow, so thanks for your help.

Terry,

For future reference: don't even try to run MS Train Sim (MSTS) right after you install it from CD or ISO. It has bugs, and the copy protection requires a physical disk in a real optical drive. You should, immediately after installation, install the MS updates (to 1.4) which among other things remove the CD-in-drive requirement. Then, you should (if you plan to actually use MSTS) install the BIN patch mentioned above.

I did try going to steam4me.net to see how things are set up now. They were offline for a while. I found that while they mention the MS patch to 1.4 and BIN, they don't have working links (at least for me, in Firefox, even after allowing all javascript and cookies). So I guess another question for the group is whether there's an alternative source for those who, unlike us old timers, didn't download it all and archive it 5 or 10 years ago?

As for actually using MSTS, even with the patches, it may not work in Windows 8 or 10. nVidia graphics are practically mandatory unless you can live with poor performance (Intel built-in graphics) or are experienced with hacking (AMD graphics). Plus following the instructions for where to put all the files (NEVER in Program Files!) and verifying/fixing permissions (must be fully accessible to all users). Even then, recent updates to Win10 have caused problems for some people. My recommendation is to install MSTS (including the MS updates, but not necessarily BIN), then install Open Rails, and just use MSTS content in Open Rails. OR works fine in all currently-supported versions of Windows, and has many improvements over MSTS besides (though for best results it does require some tinkering with trainset files - someday, I wish one of us would put together a patch library for MSTS content that can do that semi-automatically - there are update tools but they don't seem to have been regularly maintained).

I'm helping a friend out who lost his internet. He's the train guru & was surprised the new installation didn't work without the disc in situ. I got the update (which his previous installation must have had) & gave it to him & all is well. He's using XP, btw.

As for graphics: I'm used to VG graphics with my Flight Sims which, with the AMD cards I have, are stunning. If the train sim got 1/2 way to them I might consider a train sim installation ....but not right now! I use & shall continue to use, W7.

Terry.

Mike, I just checked the Steam4Me links to the MSTS updates and the site for the BIN patch, and all were working in Firefox for me... But I use the ESR version (68.x) these days. The 70.x release version was breaking sites for me -- maybe that's what happened to you.

For anyone looking to download BIN, the site design is old and might seem a little confusing. Just click on the British flag icon under "General Mirrors" to get to the English-language version of the pages.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info