Thread: Texturing Novice Queries

Default Texturing Novice Queries

Hi all,

I am newbie to modelling. I came up with the following WAP-4 model for MSTS/OR.

render.jpg

I am a complete novice on texturing. So to begin with I have the following queries in mind:

1. Are there tutorials to follow to skin a locomotive as realistic as possible from scratch?
    2. I use blender for modelling. Does MSTS support materials or only an image texture work?
    3. In such a case are there methods to transport materials developed in blender to MSTS.
    4. I recently came to know about substance painter. Is it possible to use a substance painter for texturing a locomotive that is suitable for MSTS/OR simulations.

Thanks

Default Texturing Novice Queries

Hi...

Well - I don’t use Blender - but texturing things is kind of my niche - I spend a great deal of time working on textures for my models - probably more time than I do developing the shapes...

No - neither MSTS nor ORTS supports PBR materials - just textures... If I were you - I’d forget MSTS entirely as it degrades textures horribly and you have to introduce noise and such to prevent banding on gradients... I very happily left that behind...

If you do textures for ORTS only - just use DDS textures and you can export them directly from either PS or PSP with the NVidia plugin...

You want to minimize draw calls as much as possible - if you need tutorials - You may need a bunch more info than this - I’m on my iPhone - I’ll try to put more information together when I get in front of a PC...

Nice model !

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Scott. Thanks for this starting point. Will look forward for more when you have time.

Regards
    DM

One thing that Blender does well is render an extremely high poly model and use those detailed textures on a much lower poly model.

1. Try these tutorials - https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html#models
    2. MSTS only supports a proprietary texture format - ace. While OpenRails lets you use DDS texture format. The texture basics are here: https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html#textures
    3. As Scott indicated MSTS/OR only supports textures - no bump maps, etc
    4. You can use substance painter - however the MSTS texture MUST be a power of 2. And each individual texture is a separate draw call. So most models use a texture sheet like these: https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...ncer/pop4.html
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Brilliant. Thanks longiron