Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some insight please

Default Some insight please

Just upgraded my machine to a 64 bit Windows 10 O/S with 2060 Invidea card, 32 gig ram with a solid state 500 Gig card, i9 9900Ks and a Asus gaming mother board. Big deal right!

To give you a heads up, I have been using OR and Monogame OR on my old Windows 7 64 Bit O/S ever since it came out with no problems or hiccups. Ran smoothly with frame rates generally running at 60 FPS with a 960 Invidea card. Glad to see OR in place of MSTS overall IMHO.

Now this is the funny part. I was able to install Train Simulator off of my discs and install it in the Programs Files x86 with no problem...Weird eh! As I have read in past forums, this is not suppose work, well it did...Go figure. Fired it up and yes, I had the old MSTS up and running, but the graphics look stupid and it's outdated, so I use OR.

Here's the real problem, I downloaded Open Rails from the website and ran the Ex. file. Runs fine and loads all the stuff that I have from loco's to routes and whatever. I see the page where I can make all the adjustments and select my route and train or activity. Once I hit start, nothing works! I go to my task manager and it tells me OR is not responding. Now I'm using OR Monogame as well and is working just fine, go figure.

OK, check to see if I have Framework v3.5 on my system, yes, it comes with Windows 10. Make sure it is working correctly...Yup.

So can someone tell me why OR Monogame game works but not the downloaded version of OR.

A foot note, Monogame OR is running on HDD. and even if I install the OR version onto my HDD, it doesn't work.

Kinda stumped. Some in site or help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

>Now this is the funny part. I was able to install Train Simulator off of my discs and install it in the Programs Files x86 with no problem...Weird eh! As I have read in past forums, this is not suppose work

Its not that it doesn't work, its that is doesn't work correctly.
    So you are telling us that you don't follow recommendations.

You don't mention XNA framework being installed?
    Cheers
    Derek

Yes, XNA is installed. Any other suggestions?

BTW, I don't use MSTS, I use OR because I know MSTS doesn't work properly...It was just an observation.

Dave

Stay with the mono version.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi Derek,

How do I know which version I run in Open Rails on my desktop? Right now I have the latest version of Open Rails on my desktop to simulate the Canadian route, CN Ruel Sub.

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    Hi Derek,

How do I know which version I run in Open Rails on my desktop? Right now I have the latest version of Open Rails on my desktop to simulate the Canadian route, CN Ruel Sub.

Thanks,

John
    Hi John,

If you want Monogame - I'd suggest Carlo's "unstable" version - this has all the latest/greatest features - with the caveat that it might introduce occasional issues... The upside is that you can report them as bugs and Carlo can fix them - helping the development effort... I seldom run into any real issues and it is certainly stable enough for everyday use - been using it for more than a year now...

The "auto update" feature is not setup for this version - so you need to manually download and copy files into your ORTS directory - this link has the latest version - the link in post 1 is always updated with the latest software...

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ost__p__244071

Regards,
    Scott

Hi John,

The selection screen has the version number on the top left of the screen.

Hi Derek,

Thanks,

John
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks,

John
    Windows 101:
    Open File explorer to the folder containing the EXE of the program you want the version number of. Right click on the EXE file. Chose Properties, then chose the Details Tab. The Version number will be listed.
    Charles

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

"So can someone tell me why OR Monogame game works but not the downloaded version of OR"

The reason we don't install MSTS to Program Files Folders is because of permission issues that are assigned to
    those folders, OR and OR Monogame probably handle permissions demands differently...

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Thank you Daniel for your insight...Your probably right in regards to permissions. I'll stick to Monogame as it seems to work on my system and for me. If I find out how to get the downloaded version working from the official site, I'll start a new thread. Otherwise I'll use whatever works.

Dave