Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: running MSTS and Protrain etc - how do i get it to start - do i need a no-cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker57 View Post
    Make it -mem:2048. You should also grab TrainStore, MSTS Activity Analysis and ActivityChanger, then you should try GermanRailroads products also, you get a sh*tloads of German routes, engines and wagons with German Railroads Gesamtausgabe 2010.
    where and how to do put in -mem:2048?

okay i have it all reinstalled and all the suggestions done and it all look sot be working - only that the protrain routes seem to be quite a performance hog and some sessions slow everything down too much - however i have run it through Open Rails it it is working nice and fast and looking good

just wondering though is there any way to increase teh performance in msts for such demanding routes? - perhaps the game is not utilising my comp fully - i have 16gb ram and i7 windows 10 with 2gb nvidia card.

just wondering though is there any way to increase teh performance in msts for such demanding routes? - perhaps the game is not utilising my comp fully - i have 16gb ram and i7 windows 10 with 2gb nvidia card.
    MSTS is nearly 20 years old. Don't expect surprises in the performance department – MSTS really doesn't use your graphics card and just puts all of the workload on the CPU.
    That's actually one of the reasons OpenRails was developed, I think, as OpenRails is more efficient and less restrictive than MSTS.

i am having a new issue now and i wonder if it is MSTSBIN related - i put in all the protrain addons and they were working fine, but then last night i got also the bnsf route and mactier route and train set from Trainsimulations - a pricey buy but looks all worth it, - but now Protrain since then will crash the game if i try to load a route from the Protrain addons

it gives me an error message saying the Parent points indicator not found - does mstsbin/1.8 patch change something here?

also after i did a run of the bnsf seligman route the game did a CTD - again not sure why. i think these addons from trainsimulations need mstsbin yes? as i did an uninstall of mstsbin and then MSTS would start listing a bunch trains that had missing databank files or something

Maybe this link, right at the top, can help you. Never had that error msg on my game.
    https://msts.steam4me.net/msts_errors.html

thanks i read that and tried to use Trainstore but the game was just crashing totally afte that

i have completely uninstalled everything now - i am going to reinstall it and have one version of MSTS being for protrain, and i will have another which i put the trainsimulation payware on and that will be the one with the 1.8 patch - it was only after i added the trainsimulation content, which requires mstsbin/1.8 patch i believe that the problems with protrain came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    which i put the trainsimulation payware
    Exactly which TS payware did you purchase...they make routes for both MSTS and newer routes made specifically for Open Rails...these routes must not be installed in a pre-existing MSTS folder.

...and one more thing...remember MSTS Bin is a mod to the MSTS exe file, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Open Rails == just to be clear about that.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

i bought the MSTS specific payware from TS - i know they offer OR stuff as well, - i bought the routes and related trainsets and just installed them following the usual install process, - i just installed them to my MSTS directory on my d drive, - was this not the correct thing to do?

i know mstsbin has nothing to do with OR - it is just after i installed the mactier train set, the installation asked me to install mstsbin so i did

i didnt recall seeing any instructions from TS as to what the install process is

Parent points indicator not found message in MSTS is an indicator that you have too much of something, usually consists. This is because MSTS reads everything in an installation and allocates a section of memory to store a reference to each item, plus other stuff before you get to the route and activity selection. When this memory segment is full, MSTS fails on whatever its next instruction would be.

Open Rails does not have this limitation, it only reads into memory the items required after you select a route and activity
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

i read that that might be the issue, though using Trainstore didnt resolve anything - but also i had problems with trainstore not running the german language pack too so i gave up there, having run out of time.

what exactly is the limit of content one can have in MSTS? there were so many addon created, - and all the Protrain series, - so what one could not actually ever had a more than couple of these installed at a time? - some of hte protrain addons are activity packs which you are would need to have 8 or more addons installed to make full use of. or was one expected to install uninstall things as needed? the protrain addons take like each around half an hour to uninstall

how does one get around this? just do multiple installs? or copy paste the msts folder to make alternate versions into which to install things?

i have OR and it is good but it is a different kind of experience, -it has some features that i really like and yes it is easy to use MSTS stuff in but i still like MSTS itself and i find the fact that trains in OR are permanently glued to rails breaks the immersion for me in that i dont feel like anything i do has any consequence and just have to pretend there are consequences does really cover it - not that i am interested in derail or crashing, but rather that just things go wrong and the scenario will end - i like that, it feels like an actual game and not a training tool for which some other person should be marking me on - that said i do like all the modelling around traction in OR - i can play with the adhesion and make things easier or harder - and having things like snow causing more difficulties is good and shows me how careful one needs to be.
    also though in OR i find it hard to use the track switch settings and sometimes it doesnt seem like it works at all and other times it does