Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: running MSTS and Protrain etc - how do i get it to start - do i need a no-cd?

Default running MSTS and Protrain etc - how do i get it to start - do i need a no-cd?

HI!

I have gotten into train sims recently and i was keen to finally play MSTS out of the box - i got a germna version that looks to come patched as 1.4 and it comes with some Protrain addons as well

Having installed all these i open the launcher and select to play... and nothing happens

what else do i need to do, i fee like there are guides and instructions all over the place and i dont know wherer to start, - is ther e a nocd somewhere i ought to get, some other program?

i did get Open Rails but i want to just run MSTS itself firstly prefereably and all teh Protrain addons

thank you!

okay i have msts running after i applied the trainupdate.exe program mentioned on another site - it looks like my version was 1.3.

now i am just trying to get the protrain routes working - the game crashes when trying to load them, - everytime it is installing the user interface (benutzeroberflaeche) in the loading screen - is anyone familar with thsi issue, or did i screw up the install. - i admit i did accidentally install DBtracks before installing the protrain routes - would this cause the crashing? i am now installing dbtracks again over the install and if that doesnt work i will reinstall everything

For starters, where did your MSTS install to? If it's in any of the Program Files areas then that is a recipe for disaster... As per standard advice, you need to follow the instructions posted at Steam4me as regards installation into a Win 7/8 environment.

What are your computer specs - especially graphics card and operating system? Unless you have a Nvidia card, unlikely MSTS will run at all. Windows 10 might also need you to experiment with the DPI settings on the launcher to get the sim open.

It might be worth installing Open Rails and pointing it to your MSTS install (once you have it sitting outside Program Files) to see if that will open and run the routes.

At the end of the day, MSTS is a 20 year old program, long paste the stage most other games are life expired and we have to accept the reality that it becomes harder and harder to run as is, in a modern computer environment!
    Vern.

i installed it to my d drive, d:\microsoft games\train simulator

i can get it to run and all - its now just a problem with Protrain - i can get past teh loading screen but then as soon as it starts it is frozen and crashes, i will need to experiment more clearly

A few words about fresh install on win10...
    It shoud go very smoth, but let me clarify:
    -first install the game and i mean full install everything should be on your HDD,
    -now apply pathches (there are 3 official and 1 unofficial patch, the one unofficial is optional, but i have it couse newer routs needs it)
    --filenames are: Train_Update1, sd40-2_content_update, class50_content_update (official)
    --unofficial: Patch 1.8.010516en
    -now i would reccomend that you also install Newroads and Xtrack, this is pretty mandatory when it comes to custom routes and routes that you buy, download, etc. But it should noted what additional addon you need for route to work, but those two are more common.
    So now you have complete game and file ready to install whatever route you want and it should work, also protrain addons. In both clients MSTS and Open Rails.
    Also make sure you got Directx installed for Monogame and Open rails.

It was no problem for me when i changed my system from old computer to new one, it was a year back and still working like a charm.

Good Luck.

thanks for that - the version i have to install is already at version 1.3 so far as i can gather

do you have links for where i can get the right patches

also after i do all this, will i still be able to install teh German routes in the "protrain" series? i hope you are familiar with these

i went and did a full uninstall of msts and will restart later and reinstall -

Ok so if you already got 1.3 all ok skip this.
    The sd40-2 and calss50 install those.

Yes you should/will be able to run all ProTrains releases. Not really familiar but i do own 2 of them. Unless there is something else that you need to run those... it should be stated in readme.txt file or similar. I have not been interested in those, just couse my german language is bad, so i keep avoiding those.....

Here are the links:
    - for the official patch: http://msts.banal.net/updates.html
    - and the unofficial one: http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    Ok so if you already got 1.3 all ok skip this.
    The sd40-2 and calss50 install those.

Yes you should/will be able to run all ProTrains releases. Not really familiar but i do own 2 of them. Unless there is something else that you need to run those... it should be stated in readme.txt file or similar. I have not been interested in those, just couse my german language is bad, so i keep avoiding those.....

Here are the links:
    - for the official patch: http://msts.banal.net/updates.html
    - and the unofficial one: http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm

Good Luck
    thanks - and these 2 updates you linked me to, are they for all versions? i have a german version of msts i am installing

what about the 1.4 update? i applied that before it did the trick in getting msts to run and i played amarias pass session and it all worked a dream

Yes those should be for all languages of the MSTS. Those 2 are stock addons and engine. Dont think it changes version of the game...
    So ok you got 1.4 that is all from official patches, you will need 1.8 in the future for routes and other addons. But if all works fine with 1.4, no need to change anything, i guess...

Since you have german language of MSTS, not sure about 1.8 patch. It might not work couse of the game language, i don't know.

do i need 1.8 for xtracks and newroads or whatever those are called again?