Thread: Older Stock on TrainSimulations OpenRails Routes

Question Older Stock on TrainSimulations OpenRails Routes

All,

Quick question regarding the new TrainSimulations ORTS routes (Seligman and Ruel). Would older equipment be able to run on the route given its different characteristics from previous releases? I've read through the forums from the past year and given the new XTracks installation the routes need to be segregated from all previous MSTS routes. But I'd like to make my own activities for it, which would include using stock with Scenic, Mactier, etc. shapes. Would this still be possible?

Looking forward to any info!

EK

Any stock will run on any route, regardless of age.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

The only possible conflict would be running an entire MSTS route installer just to access the rolling stock, will that MSTS route installer install 'old' Xtracks and queer the DDS installation? Or should people just run the installer to a disposable folder to extract the stock and then move it over? Or should they just make a copy of their OR only installation and then pollute that (eventually disposable) copy up with older MSTS rolling stock?

I'm sure that as more and more routes come out that are DDS texture/OR only, the "re-designed for OR" stock pool will grow. We have the BNSF and CN stock in that pool already, the MRL route will no doubt add even more diversity. And then all train sets for Open Rails can add their own dds-only rolling stock.

All stock from these OR only routes and train sets are re-worked to reduce the annoying LOD shift and were modified for Open Rail only.

I will say that after messing around with the OR only content, that to replay the CP 990 activity with it's 2012-era MSTS-friendly rolling stock was a bit of a letdown. Watching that rolling stock lose so much of the details through LOD shifts that were needed to stay MSTS-friendly was a big disappointment after getting used to the newer stuff.

Technically they mingle. But it can look like shit at times.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Technically they mingle. But it can look like sh*t at times.
    I hear what you're saying, its good to know that the stock cooperates.

One more thing to the forum in generality. Does anyone know if the activities that come with the route were created with TSRE5? I'm hearing good things about the interactivity with what they offer.

EK

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    The only possible conflict would be running an entire MSTS route installer just to access the rolling stock, will that MSTS route installer install 'old' Xtracks and queer the DDS installation? Or should people just run the installer to a disposable folder to extract the stock and then move it over? Or should they just make a copy of their OR only installation and then pollute that (eventually disposable) copy up with older MSTS rolling stock?

I'm sure that as more and more routes come out that are DDS texture/OR only, the "re-designed for OR" stock pool will grow. We have the BNSF and CN stock in that pool already, the MRL route will no doubt add even more diversity. And then all train sets for Open Rails can add their own dds-only rolling stock.

All stock from these OR only routes and train sets are re-worked to reduce the annoying LOD shift and were modified for Open Rail only.

I will say that after messing around with the OR only content, that to replay the CP 990 activity with it's 2012-era MSTS-friendly rolling stock was a bit of a letdown. Watching that rolling stock lose so much of the details through LOD shifts that were needed to stay MSTS-friendly was a big disappointment after getting used to the newer stuff.

Technically they mingle. But it can look like shit at times.
    I keep an MSTS work file on my H drive that I use to "install" things in. That keeps them from messing with my good stuff.
    Once it's installed I move what I want to where I want it then delete the stuff I don't

Randy