Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Trains TGV Train Sim Pack - how to install it on windows 10?

Default Just Trains TGV Train Sim Pack - how to install it on windows 10?

Hi
    okay so i have msts and protrain all working now, and now i have another dvd addon - TGV train sim pack from just trains

the program crashes upon any attempt i make to even install it, - can anyone help me, any solutions? i have windows 10 , so i know just trains have that horrible broken safedisc on all their dvds but usually that doesnt stop me installing program - i suspect the issue has something to do with teh dubious fstype.dll file but i dont know what

It's the Securom thing as explained to you in one of your other threads. Unless you can persuade Just Trains to send you a digital version (unlikely unless you pay again), only place for the disc is the bin.

I had exactly the same thing with some of their Just Flight add ons for FS9 and FSX. Disc could no longer be read so chucked them out and moved on.

Again, as you've been told, MSTS is a 20 year old program and a miracle anything still works at all - just be grateful for what you can get installed/working then run it in OR!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    It's the Securom thing as explained to you in one of your other threads. Unless you can persuade Just Trains to send you a digital version (unlikely unless you pay again), only place for the disc is the bin.

I had exactly the same thing with some of their Just Flight add ons for FS9 and FSX. Disc could no longer be read so chucked them out and moved on.

Again, as you've been told, MSTS is a 20 year old program and a miracle anything still works at all - just be grateful for what you can get installed/working then run it in OR!
    - i am grateful - me just asking if anyone has any other ideas is not me being ungrateful. i know the securom crap now well enough so as to now avoid getting just flight/just trains - just because msts is 20 years old doesnt mean i am not allowed to also get its addons working.

i am well familar with old games and their issues, i have been very big on getting flight sims from teh 90s working in windows 10 and have had a lot of success actually, - this securom safedisc stuff is just the worst now though,

but here is the odd thing - i have had some old games with this securom stuff on it actually work on occasion and many times i can usually at the least install the product - heck even MSTS has secdrv.sys files on it, but one can still install it

but if ifs the case as you say that even securom can interfere with the install process itself then what i will do is get a comp with windows 7 and use that to install and get the content off it

dont worry, i wont bring up these securom add-on issues anymore.

Hi Heruraha93,
    As Vern has pointed out, it is a SecuROM problem! It was possible to install the TGV pack in earlier versions of Win 10 by adding the driver and starting the service, but the current version (1909) prevents it from loading. If you're going the Win 7 route, please be aware that in Sept 2015, Microsoft withdrew support for the SecuROM driver. Because it still physically exists in Win 7, it is possible to revive it. See here for the procedure, which also contains the previously working Win 10 solution : http://tsforum.forumotion.net/t1136-...msts-route-cds

Cheers,
    Ged

Or do what I do Ged. I keep an old WIN XP PC with USB for things that come up like this & to play some of my old DOS games. I kept my old riog after I built my last few rigs. Plus I found a great working one in a neighbor's trash a few years back (I know, I know, garbage picker. )

What I do is have a working setup of MSTS on it with all updates & .bin installed.

Insert the CD or DVD needed for what ever payware route you want to load in.

You can install directly to the MSTS route folder. But if you have an option to redirect, make a folder on your desktop (Name it whatever you like) & install to that folder.

Some old commercial addons won't let you redirect the installation so you will have to look for those files inside the MSTS root files. Hopefully one has an idea of the file & folder names that are needed that you have to find.

Then take the Folder & transfer it to a USB Flash Drive & take the files needed to my WIN 10 PC with my OR on it and transfer them to my OR folder containing my routes for it. Any uninstall files that there when created you don't need to transfer (I advise not to).

You can actually get pretty decent working old XP setups (Tower, monitor, KB & mouse) with USB support by me for about $25 at local thrift & consignment stores, Salvation Army & Good Will stores, garage & estate sales. Even on Craigslist. Or get lucky & find one in someone's trash (Which now is the backup to my XP rig).

Like I said I do it this way but it isn't for everyone. Besides I still love to play a lot of early Windows & DOS games (DOOM, Duke, Certain Arcade Games, Driving Games, Military Games, etc.) so this way fits me fine.

It's just an idea to throw into the wind here that might be useful for some members here.
    - Mark -

Another thought: I've never been able to get MSTS to actually *run* in a virtual machine, but it does *install*. So if you have, say, a copy of Win98/SE or ME or XP around, you might want to install that in, say, a Virtualbox (because it's free) VM then install the stuff there; then, copy the files to your shared folder (with the host OS) then from there to your real MSTS install. Yes, much monkey motion, but it might save the day if nothing else works.

Word to the wise: XP and later Windows require activation, which usually requires an internet connection, which is not a good idea for old versions of Windows in a VM or otherwise. That's why I keep a 98SE VM (with no network connections defined) around. Stuff like MSTS was designed, originally, for 98 and ME anyway, and only worked without major tweaks in XP because of special efforts MS made for compatibility. Plus, there's the possibility that really old installers are 16-bit, which only works in 32-bit versions of Windows. If you're not going to use it for work, Virtualbox is the right price (free). The Virtualbox "extensions" don't work in 98, but the OS works OK otherwise. To get a display other than basic VGA (640x480) in Virtualbox with Win98, you need to find the Scitech video driver for Win98 and install it - still won't let you run MSTS, but otherwise is helpful.

Has anybody tried installing Win98 with DOSBox? I may try that one of these days just for fun; DOSBox has a variety of old-style graphics and CPU emulations available. Win3.1 runs well in DOSBox, as does the original Railroad Tycoon, but with that we're getting deep into ancient history (I use it to run Train Dispatcher 2 in Win3.1 in 64-bit Windows; it's a 16-bit program).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Another thought: I've never been able to get MSTS to actually *run* in a virtual machine, but it does *install*. So if you have, say, a copy of Win98/SE or ME or XP around, you might want to install that in, say, a Virtualbox (because it's free) VM then install the stuff there; then, copy the files to your shared folder (with the host OS) then from there to your real MSTS install. Yes, much monkey motion, but it might save the day if nothing else works.

Word to the wise: XP and later Windows require activation, which usually requires an internet connection, which is not a good idea for old versions of Windows in a VM or otherwise. That's why I keep a 98SE VM (with no network connections defined) around. Stuff like MSTS was designed, originally, for 98 and ME anyway, and only worked without major tweaks in XP because of special efforts MS made for compatibility. Plus, there's the possibility that really old installers are 16-bit, which only works in 32-bit versions of Windows. If you're not going to use it for work, Virtualbox is the right price (free). The Virtualbox "extensions" don't work in 98, but the OS works OK otherwise. To get a display other than basic VGA (640x480) in Virtualbox with Win98, you need to find the Scitech video driver for Win98 and install it - still won't let you run MSTS, but otherwise is helpful.

Has anybody tried installing Win98 with DOSBox? I may try that one of these days just for fun; DOSBox has a variety of old-style graphics and CPU emulations available. Win3.1 runs well in DOSBox, as does the original Railroad Tycoon, but with that we're getting deep into ancient history (I use it to run Train Dispatcher 2 in Win3.1 in 64-bit Windows; it's a 16-bit program).

I can answer a few things here - for old dos games, i havent had to turn to an old system - dosbox and all the variations of it out there do the trick with any and dos games (and win3.1 games for that matter)

you can install windows 95 in dosbox i know this because i have a few 90s games that are running through win95 in dosbox - i have never seen win98 in dosbox though, i think it is beyond teh limit of what dosbox can do, whereas win95 still could be run through it
    i have used and tinkered with alot of dosbox frontends and configs to get m copies of Spectrum Holobytes Falcon and Falcon AT working at the right processor speed (unfortunately back then games were designed to run with high frame rates, but also just changing cycles in dosbox doesnt produce the right result either without other changes)

i have win98 SE currently setup as a virtual OS with Oracle Virtualbox - it is great for gettng some difficult 90s sims working, like interactive magics flight sims - iF-22 and iFA-18e and Steel Beasts 1 - i plan to put FS98 on there soon.

I had not considered MSTS because i thought msts requires 3dacceleration and the oracle VM doesnt do and 3dacceleration -at least not the type requiring direct3d or opengl, at least if it runs it runs very badly for these. but also hearing that msts may not actually be more dependent on cpu that gfx, would be cause for concern- i wouldnt want to put anything too cpu demanding on the VM and all those gigs of extra content would be too much.

I have seen that you can get tools to get around the securom issue in windows 7 if one has that as an obstacle there. at the moment i just dont have anymore spare whole days to set this all up again - things got too messy and broken with trying to run protrain in msts and also adding newer TS content, so i removed everything for now.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

I had the same problem with the same disk and wrote to JT, they sent me a workaround which I cannot find at the momonet and
    in any case I would need their permission to pass it on.

I would suggest you contact them and I'm sure they will help.

Regards

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

I had the same problem with the same disk and wrote to JT, they sent me a workaround which I cannot find at the momonet and
    in any case I would need their permission to pass it on.

I would suggest you contact them and I'm sure they will help.

Regards

Daniel
    thanks Daniel

yes i dont know fi want to be in sydney with all teh bushfires atm, but townsville would be too humid for me too - melbourne is just tolerable.

i am in contact with JT now - i have a few broken products that they may help me with. for the TGV one though i am fairly confident that if i were to install it on my old windows 7 laptop i could get it installed and then get the files from it

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Default OT

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    thanks Daniel

yes i dont know fi want to be in sydney with all teh bushfires atm, but townsville would be too humid for me too - melbourne is just tolerable.

i am in contact with JT now - i have a few broken products that they may help me with. for the TGV one though i am fairly confident that if i were to install it on my old windows 7 laptop i could get it installed and then get the files from it
    We were okay this time but a couple of years ago we came within 100m of the fires... Scary

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)