Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trains dont derail or crash or anything in Open Rail

Default trains dont derail or crash or anything in Open Rail

Hi! I have just installed msts recently and added in a heap of addons and its all running fine and runs all great in OR too

but are there physics missing in OR? i mean i just drive the lenght of the LTV-Erie route and left the train to run full throttle and it never derailed - it was going over 400km/h down the mountain -taking all the curves without fail. Its not a great addon already but i was at least looking forward to trying to make sure to carefully bring the train down through the winding track,

if there are no physics in OR it will sadly make it a gamebreaker in so far as using it, - or am i missing something here? is there some setting i need to adjust?

Hi Mitchell,

If you are looking for something to crash, you are looking at the wrong simulator.
    Cheers
    Derek

hi derek

i am not actually looking to crash anything - i was afraid someon might misunderstand my query - if you read what i wrote, i was pointing out that my train is not even derailing at 400km/h - it was not my intention to play the route like this, but when i took a corner too quickly at first and didnt derail, i though hmm i want to check that there are the same physics in msts in OR as in msts itself

One thing i like about MSTS is the more realistic physics, - the inertia of the consists etc, again i am not interested in train sims to crash or derail, but having those as the risks present are what make the game for me feel challenging and tense - if the trains are just glued to the tracks in OR then that is not the kind of realism i like

i have spent hours upon hours getting all my protrain addons and othe raddons put into msts, and even now bought some from trainsimulations to add in - what i like are the activities, but i want to know that if i go over the limit of whats possible then i will be punished.

i infact would be happy if there was no visual representation of my train derailling or anything - just amessage on screen telling me i have derailed and ending the scenario would be fine by me.
    if ones train in OR defies physics and is invincible then i will just have to rely more on just msts and not OR

Actually MSTS physics was often too sensitive when it came to derailments. You could take a corner under track speed and still come off!
    Vern.

oh interesting, but it is the case that no physics even exist in or? or is it still in development?

As I understand it, the OR made a conscious decision some time ago to not include derailments to prevent people intentionally crashing trains for the fun of it.

Aside from that. OR Physics are a considerable leap up from MSTS.

If you want some indication that you're going too fast through a curve, turn on "curve dependent speed limit" in OR options. I think it's under the Experimental tab if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 01-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

yes i have it is good - though the broken brake hose doesnt seem to have any impact on the train. - a broken brake hose would cause brakes to automatically apply wouldnt it?

what i would think could be done regarding derailment, is rather than show any kind of derailment - jsut have a message train has derailed and then the activity ends

OR has some brilliant physics, but you do need to read the manual to understand how it all fits together. There are a number of tick boxes spread through the various tabs in the Options part of the initial choices window that will affect how the train runs. Keep in mind that OR is still very much still a work in progress and things will change from time to time.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    oh interesting, but it is the case that no physics even exist in or? or is it still in development?

Physics to you is derailing.
    Physics for us is train handling, which you have not explored.
    Cheers
    Derek