Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trains dont derail or crash or anything in Open Rail

Broken air hoses do indeed dump the air in OR and consequences follow...at this point you are using default MSTS physics which are interpreted by the OR code...and it is well known that default MSTS files are often full of inconsistent and contradictory data -- but OR works pretty well with plain vanilla MSTS physics data. There are too many specific ORTS physics parameters that it is pointless to go into them here, best advice for you would be to start your training by reading the OR manual - cover to cover.

Also take a look at this page >>> https://open-rails.readthedocs.io/en.../physics.html#

...and study Open Rails physics here >>> https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/physics/#eoi
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

well no not jsut derailing - but forgive also i am new to this and train handling is still something i am learning about - i just like the added risk of such a thing happening so as to avoid it - and like i said i would be happy even if it was just a message that came up say - train - and which particular car perhaps has derailed. - that is all.
    train handling does interest me also but it is alo connected isnt it?

i do see that there is a lot of maths in OR - more than i can at all understand, and i like detailed like tunnel resistance and curve dependent resistance etc - -also i didnt think that OR was primarily just something for exclusively those want to drive a train perfectly already from the get go? i like the learning process, - and clearly in having to play activities where i have to meet timetable schedules i think i need to know best what speed say i can do curves etc - i say this because in a case where i was running a train at the give speed limit in just msts it came off on a curve - so clearly the speed limit indicated in the game is not telling me what i need to do to take a corner

there is that in OR - i see a messag ecomes up i think after i selected an option in sim settings that tells me what eh speed of corner ought to be, but it only tells me after i am exceeding it - is there a way to know what it ought to be beforehand? and also there is a that room between what the recommended speed of a corner is and what the limit is in which one could push things a little if there is a time constraint
    of course i am not a good train driver, but i dont think such games and sims like these shouldnt be exclusively for people who are already good at them

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Broken air hoses do indeed dump the air in OR and consequences follow...at this point you are using default MSTS physics which are interpreted by the OR code...and it is well known that default MSTS files are often full of inconsistent and contradictory data -- but OR works pretty well with plain vanilla MSTS physics data. There are too many specific ORTS physics parameters that it is pointless to go into them here, best advice for you would be to start your training by reading the OR manual - cover to cover.

Also take a look at this page >>> https://open-rails.readthedocs.io/en.../physics.html#

...and study Open Rails physics here >>> https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/physics/#eoi
    i did dive into the OR manual regarding the physics but the maths goes over my head, and at the time there were terms being used that i still didnt understand fully.

- regarding broken brake hoses, i have played it a couple routes and in the cases when i did encounter this happening, the train just continued on with no consequence -i can just continue on like nothing happened. i suppose i can set my own parameteres where if i get the message i will stop and restart things myself.

- actually if would be good to know if there are other mechanical failures, system failures etc that one might hav eto deal with in the game or is that a bit beyond what can be done with MSTS

Is there a difference between playing say an OR activity, like say the ones one can buy at trainsimulations, to playing MSTS through OR? do they use the same physics or are the OR exclusive things better?

also is there any kind of in game map available in either MSTS or OR? i feel like it would help alot, lest i take a wrong track

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    there is that in OR - i see a messag ecomes up i think after i selected an option in sim settings that tells me what eh speed of corner ought to be, but it only tells me after i am exceeding it - is there a way to know what it ought to be beforehand? and also there is a that room between what the recommended speed of a corner is and what the limit is in which one could push things a little if there is a time constraint of course i am not a good train driver, but i dont think such games and sims like these shouldnt be exclusively for people who are already good at them
    F4 brings up the track monitor which give you the track speed before you reach that point. Plus it give you the current track speed limit also.

OR isn't just for people that are good train drivers. it is for people willing to learn more about train operations within the limited confines of the sim & make them better at it.

I myself am a terrible steam locomotive driver. But with the fine models available today made exclusively for OR operations. I am slowly getting better.

Plus reading the OR manual and learning what it entails is always a great way to get to know what you are doing better.
    Last edited by MMSS; 01-22-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added info
    - Mark -

also is there any kind of in game map available in either MSTS or OR? i feel like it would help alot, lest i take a wrong track
    Route maps you are thinking. There are routes available in the library that some members made up maps for many routes. They show sidings, stations, junctions, signals, etc. Most of the larger routes or popular routes in the library here have them.

Some download library routes also might have them in the download also. You have to check with the route to see if they were included.

I believe some payware routes do also, You have to check the documents that came with it.

For routes in the library that might have a map for them, just type in "maps" in the library's search area.
    - Mark -

okat thanks that is good, - i will check the folders for some o fhte payware i got perhaps they have maps in them. i have a lot protrain for msts addons i got recently, some of which have foldout maps which are superb, but others i got didnt come with such whether they are lost or maybe on the disc i will have to check

Is there a difference between playing say an OR activity, like say the ones one can buy at trainsimulations, to playing MSTS through OR? do they use the same physics or are the OR exclusive things better?
    You have a basic, but very common, misconception about OR...you are not playing MSTS through OR...Open Rails is an entirely different program...it does not use any MSTS executables. However, OR can use legacy equipment and routes that were originally made for MSTS.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

ah right - okay thanks, that is something i was mistaken about - thinking OR was primarily a program through which MSTS can run better and with more features.

so is it the case that routes and trains that are made specifically for OR have different controls and or handling?

so is it the case that routes and trains that are made specifically for OR have different controls and or handling?
    Good question, difficult to give simple yes or no answer...
    Currently there are three categories of equipment ( locomotive and wagons ) and routes that Open Rails can use
    1. Legacy equipment and routes made expressly for MSTS
    2. Legacy equipment and routes that have been modified in some way for better performance in OR -- or -- in the case of routes, added scenery, detail, mods to files to permit use of specific OR features
    3. Equipment and routes made for use in OR, they will not run in MSTS.

Try downloading the free BNSF Open Rails starter route at Train Simulations --- follow the install instructions precisely.
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/ORTS_starter_pack.html
    Train Simulations has made a couple of routes expressly for OR, if you purchase them, make sure to follow the install instructions very carefully -- they must not be installed into a pre-existing MSTS folder.

Really, start reading the manual...especially the beginning sections, a manual comes with each OR installation, or can be downloaded from the OR web site.
    bandicam 2020-01-22 22-40-44-328.jpg

Hi! I have just installed msts recently and added in a heap of addons and its all running fine and runs all great in OR too

but are there physics missing in OR? i mean i just drive the lenght of the LTV-Erie route and left the train to run full throttle and it never derailed - it was going over 400km/h down the mountain -taking all the curves without fail. Its not a great addon already but i was at least looking forward to trying to make sure to carefully bring the train down through the winding track,

if there are no physics in OR it will sadly make it a gamebreaker in so far as using it, - or am i missing something here? is there some setting i need to adjust?
    Hello

You know, when I first picked up open rails that was probably the only negative point about it that I felt. Now I'm not one looking to run my trains at 400mph into each other and admiring the chaos after, but did enjoy the added challenge of running at the limit on a tight bend and not derailing the train (thereby ending the activity) or stopping right and not overshooting the buffer with similar result. What is currently implemented in open rails just does not give the challenge or satisfaction of that. The penalty of such a dealbreaking event in the real world is just not felt.

I do recall some form of derail implementation on the OR road map, perhaps a calculation if the train is off the track leading to the derailment popup. Oh well, we shall see

Btw, MSTS derailing implementation as far as jumping the tracks was pretty poor as well. I believe it was just tied directly to the implemented speed limit, and hardly actually realistic. Just that it had the activity ending function which in my opinion added a little to the challenge of an activity