Thread: clarification - my question is are trains permanently glued to rails in OR

Default clarification - my question is are trains permanently glued to rails in OR

okay just because my last thread was titled in a way that will make people think i am just lookign to crash things,

i will ask again - do trains actually come off rails in OR like in MSTS? again, I AM NOT intending to just do this with train sims, but for me the challenge of driving the train entails also the risks of errors - and what msts offers is really good, and OR looks really good, but when i just tried out the LTV-ERIE ROUTE from teh LTV-Erie mining set from Abacus, - the activities are a bit sparse, but appeal of one is that one has to take the freight carefully down to the port, watchful of the slopes and risk of runaways - when i played however there seemed to be no effect at all on my consist if i took a corner at speed and so to test it further i just let the train drive with full throttle and it wne tthe whole route with no need for me to ever do anything - it was taking corners down the slope at 400km/h and staying glued tot he rails -

so this i jsut what i want clarified, are the real world physic missing in OR?

It's not that NO physics exist in OpenRails – in fact, OpenRails has more advanced and realistic physics than most other train simulators commercially available – it's more that OpenRails is a project done by volunteers in their free time and because of that, it has to prioritised what features will be implemented at which time. Maybe derailments are not that high on the to-do list (one may argue if you adhere to the speed limits, you don't derail anyways), or the programmers simply aren't interested in such a feature at this time.

Anyway, have you tried "curve-dependant speed limit" yet? It's an option in the settings that causes the brake hoses to disconnect when going too fast through a curve. Probably not 100% the function you searched for, but I think it's an acceptable alternative.

Greetings

thanks i switched that on - also i didnt know really that everything in Open rails was being completely redone - that is, i thought that if i am running msts through it then it would just be primarily the same physics as msts

the broken brake hose message is good

regarding wheel slip - is this modelled? does one get a message notification?

The grades in that route are twice as steep as they should be. It was one of the first routes made and it shows. I did start a version of that route combined with another in the area a couple years ago, but I haven't done anything with it in a while

okay i have lower some of hte adhesio factor correction and it makes things more challenging - having to deal with wheel slips and skids is fun

>it was taking corners down the slope at 400km/h and staying glued tot he rails -

And you are not looking for a crash?

I have not tested the physics at 400kmh, not much need to.
    Cheers
    Derek

well at that stage after realising that nothing was happening at earlier in the track - beinf my first time trying it out and really my first time with OR, i come into this expecting to make mistakes as i dont know the layout of the track or its gradients - as i said after a while it wasnt that i was deliberately trying to crash, rather that i just left the sim to just run on its own because and it became an amusing thing in itself to see just how fast it was actually going to go - i didnt know that the train would reach such speeds

at that point i was thinking is OR turning MSTS into "Big Rigs Over the Road Racing?" - surely not, surely i am missing something hereregarding how the game is to be played and what it has under the hood - and people here have helped explain that, though not you as you have made up your mind after just reading my first albeit poorly worded title.

so no this is not any kind of sadistic pleasure, just a curiosity now as to what the sim can and cant do, and it is a sim after all, one can test things out, and in this i want to see what exactly the physics here are

also would that even be possible in reality, even if the train is locked to the track? - hence my asking here about these details. It is not some kind of shameful thing i think to like there to be consequences in a sim - of course i know that 400kmh in reality is ridiculous, but i dont know in my head as to what the physics of it all are - if i did, perhaps why even play the game, - and again, though i am not sure you are reading what i am writing, i would be fine for there to just be a message on the screen indicating somehaving gone wrong - like the broken brake hose message.
    its like in flight sims, handling a trian or plane doesnt happen in some kind of causal vacuum

Closing. One thread on this topic is enough, thank you...