Thread: Yellow, Yellow, Red

Default Yellow, Yellow, Red

Trying to learn openrails, and I'm a bit confused. On many routes, even when using the "explore route" activity, I find myself "riding yellows" almost the whole way. The there will be a approach clear (40 mph) flashing yellow followed by a solid yellow approach slow (30 mph), and then a stop. So as I get to the first yellow the next yellow will change to a solid yellow and then the red ahead might turn green, but I'll get the to green, the speed limit will go up to the track limit, and as soon as I get halfway up to the speed limit, there's another yellow. I've tried setting up activities with just my train, making sure that the patch has all the switches set correctly, and I'm still being slowed down for no reason? Am I missing an option? I tried to turn off the red at station option, but the reds I've been seeing are not at stations... gggrrrr
    Thanks,

It could be the signal scripts written for MSTS, post the name of the route and a copy of your OR log file...someone with some experience with the signal files will probably see it and respond...be patient. Sigcfg and Sigscr files are above my pay grade.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Open an OpenRails subdirectory in your route's directory and copy inside your route's sigscr.dat and sigcfg.dat. Try.
    If that's not enough, edit the sigcfg.dat you have copied into the OpenRails subdirectory and increase the value of the various SignalNumClearAhead lines. As a first trial increase to 6 the value of the lines which have a value lower than that. If that's not enough, increase more such values.
    MSTS will still continue using the original files within the route's root folder.

Quote Originally Posted by csantucci View Post
    Open an OpenRails subdirectory in your route's directory and copy inside your route's sigscr.dat and sigcfg.dat. Try.
    If that's not enough, edit the sigcfg.dat you have copied into the OpenRails subdirectory and increase the value of the various SignalNumClearAhead lines. As a first trial increase to 6 the value of the lines which have a value lower than that. If that's not enough, increase more such values.
    MSTS will still continue using the original files within the route's root folder.
    Thanks, that worked fine... Are there any more files that could be copied and moved into that OpenRails subdir? I might be fun to to play with the speed limits.

That's good. Yes, there are. In the folder of any wagon of locomotive within Trainset you can open an Openrails subfolder and copy there the .eng and/or .wag files and modify them for openrails.
    Moreover the manual explains what can be done within the OpenRails subfolder of the Activities folder and what can be done with modifications to .w files and tsection.dat file without affecting MSTS operation.

Quote Originally Posted by jfandre23 View Post
    Thanks, that worked fine... Are there any more files that could be copied and moved into that OpenRails subdir? I might be fun to to play with the speed limits.
    There are some OR conversion kits for locomotives and equipment that came packaged with payware routes...search the FL using the word "Conversion". These kits will get you started regarding what csantucci posted:
    In the folder of any wagon of locomotive within Trainset you can open an Openrails subfolder and copy there the .eng and/or .wag files and modify them for openrails.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.