Thread: BNSF SD70ACe Mega-Pack Creation and Inquiry

Question BNSF SD70ACe Mega-Pack Creation and Inquiry

I've been so infatuated with reskinning locos on the blank SLI SD70ACe, I decided now to create a mega-pack of SLI BNSF SD70ACe's. It will be the 8400 and 8500 series. For editing the ACE files, I would prefer Paint.net over any other paint editor on the web. Before I get started with repainting the blanks, however, there are a few questions I would like to ask the community here.

1) How can I rotate and reposition the headlight on the blank SD70ACe so it is on the nose rather than the cab?
    2) When I go into TGATool2A, what are the steps to eliminating the risk of the wipers and parts being alpha'ed in? (That way I won't see black rectangles on the windshield once exported.)
    3) Does Paint.net (open-source) offer the same benefit as the paid apps?

Regarding the nose, you're just setting yourself up for a lot of work if you're going to re-position the headlight like you said.

Just use the MRL SD70ACe units with the nose in the headlights, and there's a little FA made by Jeff Auberpine that'll fill in the gap between the number boards.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachBell4400 View Post
    I've been so infatuated with reskinning locos on the blank SLI SD70ACe, I decided now to create a mega-pack of SLI BNSF SD70ACe's. It will be the 8400 and 8500 series. For editing the ACE files, I would prefer Paint.net over any other paint editor on the web. Before I get started with repainting the blanks, however, there are a few questions I would like to ask the community here.

1) How can I rotate and reposition the headlight on the blank SD70ACe so it is on the nose rather than the cab?
    2) When I go into TGATool2A, what are the steps to eliminating the risk of the wipers and parts being alpha'ed in? (That way I won't see black rectangles on the windshield once exported.)
    3) Does Paint.net (open-source) offer the same benefit as the paid apps?

I am not 100% sure about the first question, but I believe that this is done in the locomotive's .eng file. There are a lot of lines regarding lights in it, so I presume some of those lines determine the position of each light.

Alpha channels are added separately when you use a paint editing program to edit a piece of texture. Alpha channels that are already present in texture can be deleted or edited, as needed. TgaTool only converts your textures in and out of different formats.

I don't know about that one. I've been using Photoshop for all of my skinning and cab creating projects for almost a decade now.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

I use paint.net for all my texture work. For just about anything you'd need to do, it'll work fine.
    Peesonally, I don't even use TGATool to get my .ace files - ShapeViewer can export texture files

I have an easier path. Buy this

and then apply the textures to the UP 8347 from another pack and then tinker with the textures a bit. Find yourself whatever BNSF unit numbers that carry the high headlight that also have lost the Lexan dome in favor of a PTC cluster

Now I understand some people may be reluctant to follow this approach, I mean, not everyone wants a 52,000 poly model when they can have a 9,000 poly model that is 14 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Regarding the nose, you're just setting yourself up for a lot of work if you're going to re-position the headlight like you said.

Just use the MRL SD70ACe units with the nose in the headlights, and there's a little FA made by Jeff Auberpine that'll fill in the gap between the number boards.
    I wonder if the F/A will work for the UP/CSX SD70ACe blank textures? Can I use the F/A for the nose variant?

A little update in regards to this...

1) There will be a 20-unit "ultra-pack" of BNSF SD70ACe-P4 diesel locomotives.
    2) These locomotives are being "renumbered" to allow for more SD70ACe's to hit the bandwagon.
    3) The following road numbers are being used on the 20 locomotives to be used on the PRB coal trains I run: 8415, 8436, 8447, 8460 (at the time of this reply), then more numbers to be announced in a future update to this thread. So, when I come tback to this, I expect myself to have all 20 engines done.