Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is Trainmaster 4.3?

Wasn't there an update to the control stand graphic at some point? I searched in vain for it a little while ago because as it stands the cab graphic is the very crude image from the original TM3.
    Vern.

Yes, Vern.
    That introduced the "cab front" mask....providing a much more realistic appearance of an SD-type cab.
    Just a small update but giving greater immersion.
    I've got it here if you want it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Yes, Vern.
    That introduced the "cab front" mask....providing a much more realistic appearance of an SD-type cab.
    Just a small update but giving greater immersion.
    I've got it here if you want it.
    I'll PM you my email address Bruce, thanks.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I'll PM you my email address Bruce, thanks.
    All fine, Vern.
    Let me know how it pans out.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Just one minor thing......

If you pan the view from the as-loaded straight-ahead position then you immediately lose the window mask.....and it can't be regained in that session.
    The control stand graphic is fine but the black mask that gives the impression of a window just disappears.

It does seem to have other issues on modern hardware, unfortunately. I can't get the sim to play in other than a very tiny 1024 x 768 box in the centre of my UHD monitor no matter how much I play with the scaling or DPI settings. The RFP route won't load and crashes with the too many triangles error message. This is a lack of memory issue which seems a bit ludicrous given the hardware we have now is at least 20 times more powerful than what we had in 2001, but then the program is probably 32 bit at best and cannot use more VRAM or system RAM than it was designed for.
    Vern.

.....I can't get the sim to play in other than a very tiny 1024 x 768 box in the centre of my UHD monitor ...
    Yeah....the same thing happens on any monitor, no matter the expanse.
    A window 1024 x 768 is the best you will do. Even on my old laptop.

The RFP route won't load and crashes with the too many triangles error message.
    Yes to that one also.
    That has always happened with mine....I even have a note pencilled in the manual back in 2001.

Aside from those glitches it still operates but I never use it these days, leaving it on the old laptop just out of nostalgia.

It does seem to have other issues on modern hardware, unfortunately. I can't get the sim to play in other than a very tiny 1024 x 768 box in the centre of my UHD monitor no matter how much I play with the scaling or DPI settings. The RFP route won't load and crashes with the too many triangles error message. This is a lack of memory issue which seems a bit ludicrous given the hardware we have now is at least 20 times more powerful than what we had in 2001, but then the program is probably 32 bit at best and cannot use more VRAM or system RAM than it was designed for.
    Here's a question: regardless of window size, does it actually run in 64-bit Win7 or Win10? If so, then by definition it's a 32-bit program because 64-bit Windows can't, by itself, run 16-bit software. Of course, if you're running 32-bit Windows, all bets are off.

Another possible approach might be to set up Windows 95 or 98 in Virtualbox. You'll have to find a video driver for W98 that works in Virtualbox. Here are all the gory details (and yes, I do have my old W98SE CD still). Then install Trainmaster in that. Should be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Here's a question: regardless of window size, does it actually run in 64-bit Win7 or Win10?
    Oh yes, it certainly does.
    The test copy I installed before sending the info to Vern was put on my current desktop...the one I'm using now. It's Windows 10 Pro, installed in Feb last year.

This is one of the main reasons I keep some older PCs, simply to be able to run some of my favourite games/sims.
    The XP laptop is the only oldie I have now that still fires up okay........I had to dump the Win95 item late last year as it refused to boot any more.

My Windows is emphatically Win 10 64 bit!

Not that fussed that I would mess about setting up a virtual PC to run it, though. As Bruce says, a bit of nostalgia from the train simming museum!
    Vern.