Thread: what is Trainmaster 4.3?

Default what is Trainmaster 4.3?

Hi! i came across Trainmaster 4.3 in a site - a rail catalog site, and it has a little description about it, but otherwise i cant find any information on it. I havent found a review of it anywhere either.
    Might someone here be familiar with Trainmaster 4.3 and be able to tell me what it actually is - is it a simulation of the Trainmaster loco? does it have many routes? is there AI traffic and activities one has to complete?

thanks for teh link, i had been looking for "trainmaster 4.3" in my search - better to have just looked for trainmaster

TM4 was regarded as quite revolutionary when released, but the release timing couldn't have been worse for the original publisher (Corporate Strategies) as it coincided with MS' first announcement they were producing MSTS.

Last time I tried (under Win 7) it just about ran, but looked very dated compared to what we have now. There is no graphic of the train or any moving AI, if you spin your head round in the cab view you just see the track moving away behind you. Track was floating about 2ft above the terrain. Game was coded when most people were still using 3DFX Voodoo cards in their PC's!

Run 8 is probably the spiritual successor to the title, albeit made by a completely different company.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    TM4 was regarded as quite revolutionary when released, but the release timing couldn't have been worse for the original publisher (Corporate Strategies) as it coincided with MS' first announcement they were producing MSTS.

Last time I tried (under Win 7) it just about ran, but looked very dated compared to what we have now. There is no graphic of the train or any moving AI, if you spin your head round in the cab view you just see the track moving away behind you. Track was floating about 2ft above the terrain. Game was coded when most people were still using 3DFX Voodoo cards in their PC's!

Run 8 is probably the spiritual successor to the title, albeit made by a completely different company.
    thanks also forthis info - i like old and comparatively dated games so trainmaster gets my interest there, and even though there is no AI that is okay, it sounds like it offers a variety of routes and trains with different physices for each

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    .....it sounds like it offers a variety of routes and trains with different physices for each
    There are several route files available, each of which is bi-directional.
    In its day Trainmaster was highly regarded when it came to replicating the physics of train operation but, as Vern says, MS Train Simulator came along and blew it away overnight.
    But I still have it installed on one of my laptops which has Windows XP as the O/S.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bruce - good to hear from you. Must admit, I was getting worried with all the news reports re the wildfires in NSW and hoping you weren't in the middle of it. As the news now seems to be dominated by the Chinese super-virus, hopefully things are now settling down over there.

Back OT, TM4 had a chequered history as CSI/Bob Leilich subsequently sold it out to another company who then, despite promises they made, turned their backs on the hobby side of things in favour of developing for the professional user.
    Vern.