Thread: CN 596 gets a UDE

Default CN 596 gets a UDE

Working on a new activity for Ruel Sub to be my first activity assembled with TSRE. It involves a single SD40 running from Capreol out to Gogama and back. Two hours out, about an hour of switching, and 2 hours back with the second half running long hood forward. All switching along the way is done locally in manual mode, there is only one reverse point to change overall direction of the activity flow upon reaching Gogama. Unfortunately have found a bug with OR autopilot function while running LHF, when autopilot is engaged the loco tries to power in both directions, throws all kinds of wheel slip, and the directional arrow on the track monitor freaks out. This will have to wait on the code mechanics before release.

So far this will require the Ruel route, the Milwaukee and GTW trainsets, the other CN SD40/flexicoil GP9/40ft grain box add-on pack (to get the old solid black unit), and the two NAVS boxcar sets (plate B, plate C). Subject to change.

In the meantime, lets check out the Undesired Emergency stop sounds that come with the latest Trainsimulations offerings

geepster775,
    Very nice, I'm looking forward to this 😊😊
    Tim

That was fun! That audio made me feel like I was riding the caboose, hanging on to something tight and hoping things didn''t derail during that stop! LOL!

Part 1 (the Capreol out to Gogama segment) of the 596 activity. Since the earlier SLI SD40 potash set does not have the current cabviews essential for LHF running, I dropped that pack as a payware requirement and went with a Burgerburn repaint of the earlier 1970s all-black scheme that I will supply and users must manually add to their Ruel Sub CN engines directory. I also added the element of foggy weather upon departure, with the rising sun burning the fog off we travel west. The one scene of an all-AI meet at Laforest is between the intermodal the player already met and the manifest running behind the player (that the reconfigured LHF player consist will eventually meet at Gogama before departing there), as depicted in the Long Hood Forward video published earlier. That bad-ordered autorack set off by a freight during the night will be picked up by the 596 during it's return leg, after the block truck comes out after daylight breaks and replaces an axle. After some tweaking with different values, the player train now departs with less than 350 gallons of fuel. Good thing it's mostly a slight downgrade back to Capreol!

Very nice! Very nice indeed! But ya know what? In most all of the videos I've watched of Open Rails, I've yet to hear a car with a flat spot on the wheels. They all sound like they just came out of the shop - unusually quiet. No squeaks and groans, no squeals as that go around curves, and no thunk-thunk-thunk of flat spots. Go to YouTube and listen to some real trains for a while. The difference is unbelievable. Real rolling stock is anything but quiet. Physics and textures may be improving, but sounds have a long ways to go yet.
    Larry Steiner
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by geekman View Post
    Very nice! Very nice indeed! But ya know what? In most all of the videos I've watched of Open Rails, I've yet to hear a car with a flat spot on the wheels. They all sound like they just came out of the shop - unusually quiet. No squeaks and groans, no squeals as that go around curves, and no thunk-thunk-thunk of flat spots. Go to YouTube and listen to some real trains for a while. The difference is unbelievable. Real rolling stock is anything but quiet. Physics and textures may be improving, but sounds have a long ways to go yet.
    Larry, he did 2 videos with "flat spots" sounds the center of the videos. If you check out his YouTube page, they are on there. Or click the links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L37kITphv-A

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryhen5ndsU
    - Mark -