Thread: Convert files to unicode

Question Convert files to unicode

I have added of few new files to my system and when I try to see the wagon or engine files through notepad, I am told they are not in unicode format. What is the best program to convert these files into a unicode format?

Quote Originally Posted by jackcary View Post
    I have added of few new files to my system and when I try to see the wagon or engine files through notepad, I am told they are not in unicode format. What is the best program to convert these files into a unicode format?
    Hi Jack,

The file that came with MSTS to do the conversion is in your "Utils" directory and is called "txt2uni.exe" - it's a command line utility... If used in a bat file - you can pass the file name as argument...

OR

If you use Notepad++ you can simply select the unicode encoding from the [Encoding] menu - then save it - it's the [UCS-2 LE BOM] choice - then save the file...

Notepad++ is available here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Regards,
    Scott

Off-topic, but just wanted to point out that Notepad++ has a "search in files" function that is just great for tracking down files that are missing *.sms files. You can have it search all *.eng files in the TRAINSET directory for any file that calls for the *.sms so you can correct the problem. Works for other kinds of malformed strings, too.