Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Freeware Models 2020 - ORTS/MSTS - North American Content

"Locomotives and Rolling Stock are the life blood of the sim - without them - there's not much hope to generate enthusiasm or recruit new talent..."
    Certainly a valid view Scott however I would add 'activities' to the mix. Has intrigued me that this most obvious value add has not been seized upon by the payware vendors when such effort has been expended in creating the various routes. I would suggest each purchaser of a route product to be a likely candidate for the purchase of follow up activity packs - I know I would. I nominate TrainSimulations as an example where the rolling stock repaint policy I assume has been a win win for all of us and illustrates how extra value can be leveraged from the initial product ie engine pack.

I assume Sean Kelly is the creator of the much anticipated Mullan Pass route soon for release via TrainSimulations (based just on what I can recall from various threads - hope I have it right lol!) and the impression I gained is Sean builds it and TS market it. Forgive me if I have misunderstood but if so then perhaps his business model could be extended to activity creators, and yes I have very much enjoyed the works of the likes of Big Ed Cook. Joe Lawernce and Ted Pickering to name just a few. Freeware and so appreciated. BUT money makes the world go round and activities (or missions in game parlance) I believe have a commercial value if suitable arrangements can be put in place to see some reward for effort.

Hope my remarks generate feedback, for and against, because as I said at the outset I am intrigued.

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by billbloggs View Post
    .........then perhaps his business model could be extended to activity creators, and yes I have very much enjoyed the works of the likes of Big Ed Cook. Joe Lawernce and Ted Pickering to name just a few. Freeware and so appreciated. BUT money makes the world go round and activities (or missions in game parlance) I believe have a commercial value if suitable arrangements can be put in place to see some reward for effort.

Hope my remarks generate feedback, for and against, because as I said at the outset I am intrigued.
    Duncan
    Can't say I'd ever pay for activities. Too many variables in stock availability for starters. Besides which the book on how to create them is still available as a download for 10 bucks, there's skyline computing etc.etc.etc.

Besides that there are only a handful of decent payware routes and quite why any freeware route creator would consent to someone making money out of his months of work writing activities for it is beyond me?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I have thought about trying 3D modelling for the sim, as I'd like to have detailed GE's and EMD's of newer generations, but it just seems too complicated for me.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

That's why you start small. I had no clue how to do 3d modeling in 2002. By the end of the year, I finished a few models... By today's standards, kind of crappy... but it was something.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I assume Sean Kelly is the creator of the much anticipated Mullan Pass route soon for release via TrainSimulations (based just on what I can recall from various threads - hope I have it right lol!) and the impression I gained is Sean builds it and TS market it. Forgive me if I have misunderstood but if so then perhaps his business model could be extended to activity creators...
    Duncan
    Hi Duncan,

Yes, Mullan Pass is my route project. To clarify, while it did start out more like you describe, I am now more or less "officially" part of the TrainSimulations team. However, that does NOT mean what I say or my opinions on here at all represent the thoughts and opinions of TS, so I just want to make that clear. This does mean however that after Mullan is out the door, I will be staying part of the team and continue progressing with my other route projects (and also assisting with some route projects they are working on as well), and I expect several other routes I have in preliminary stages to become eventual releases through TS, assuming the ORTS community doesn't disintegrate into oblivion before we get the chance.

I'm intrigued, but also skeptical of the idea of payware activity packs. Intrigued in the sense of wondering whether we (TrainSimulations) would draw significant interest in creating supplementary activity packs for our routes. AFAIK, the past model has been to create engine/rolling stock expansion packs, which also contain new activities, and historically from what I've seen those would typically be in the $20-$25 range if they do not come with an all-new route.

The question still stands: Is there significant community interest in payware activity packs that would be ONLY new activities (could be 10, 15, or even 20+ activities) and using only the engines and rolling stock already provided with the route (no, or very little, new equipment in the activity pack)?

I would imagine something like this could only sell for $10 or so, maybe less, but I'm not sure I would want to venture down that path if there wasn't significant support from the community, especially considering we (TS) are a small operation, and we are in a small community. Considering that there have historically been experienced, high quality freeware activity developers out there, I'm not sure whether a payware pack of literally just activities would be attractive to many people, but that is again why I am asking the question. I certainly would rather spend time progressing a future route project than testing out the concept of making a payware activity pack if no one was going to buy it.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

When do you think we will possibly see Mullans Pass released to us to purchase? I am really looking forward to this coming and will be a definite buy when it does come out! Thanks A Lot!

"Locomotives and Rolling Stock are the life blood of the sim - without them - there's not much hope to generate enthusiasm or recruit new talent..."
    Certainly a valid view Scott however I would add 'activities' to the mix.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Although, I have no plans on taking my work payware.

Pretty much what you see in the ORTS/MSTS screenshot threads are currently what I'm working on. I'm not sure about other activity creators, but I try to balance the fine line of maximum realism and economical stock usage. Open Rails helps that as far as AI frequency and static consists amounts in an activity.

As long as nothing drastic happens, I plan on contributing when I can.

EK

Howdy from Minnesota,

Personally I believe 2020 is bringing forth more opportunities for developing new models for OpenRails.
    But I have a couple questions and requests from the TS community.

1) I know somebody did a private model and repaint of the CSX SD70AH-T4 for TS2020. I was wondering if somebody could create a generalized model of the EMD/Progress Rail SD70ACe-T4 for OpenRails. Although I like Tier-4 engines hauling coal trains, the prototypical trains with Tier-4 leaders cannot realistically be operated on the Powder River Basin (explain to me why that's the case).
    2) I was going to see if anyone was interested in working on a BNSF taconite ore car as well. I used to see them on the Hinckley Sub back in 2006, all the time.

LittleFalls_RailFan

...ridiculously restrictive EULA's are a tad annoying - if you're making it for free - just keep it free and have fun with it...
    No kidding.

I don't feel my README's were that restrictive. 1) Atribution 2) Stay Non-Commercial 3) If you make money... at least send me a copy of what you did. Though there was a period where I was reacting to getting screwed by an individual so had some extra verbiage.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I've come out of a bit of a hibernation to say hi again during this chaotic time. I had a sort of 80% finished GE P32AC-DM with 3D cab and other bits, parts and pieces. I think I got frustrated by wanting a little more out of the sim. The Open Rails team is amazing and have done a great service to this community, but I was still left wishing for more features, documentation, and tools to aid me when I had questions.

I liked working in a program I was familiar with, in Blender, and as I got used to a new build of that program, and the MSTS exporter stopped working with it, that was the nail in the coffin for the time being.

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg