Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Freeware Models 2020 - ORTS/MSTS - North American Content

Note: A lot of these have been worked off and on for some time.

If all goes according to plan, this project should be out by the end of the year. Got some new info on the SD40M-2s, so that I can build the thing properly, and figured out the best way to update the Dash 9s with new details. Also want to change the font on numbers on all the units I've made personally so they're correct for Espee.

SFCAN103.jpg

This is one of the many units in this project, which replaces the entire set of MLT Cascades Crossing locomotive model with updated shapes, textures, and engine files.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 01-29-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Replace Image with Larger Image.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    This is one of the many units in this project, which replaces the entire set of MLT Cascades Crossing locomotive model with updated shapes, textures, and engine files.
    Hi Parker,

Hah - now THAT's what I'm talk'n about - NICE - what do you model with - Blender ?

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the comment. They've been a long time coming.

My applogies if my little promo image somehow mislead you. That was a Shape Viewer Screenshot of one of the GP60s from the set, modded slightly in Photoshop to make it look fancy.

I do my modeling in Sketchup for the moment, but l'm planning to learn Blender in the future.

I should admit now that I'm kinda piggybacking off Danny Beck's work, even though it doesn't look like it.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

To be fair, there's really not much happening with North American 1:1 scale locomotives aside from the new Seimens Chargers, and Ian Dodd has been staying up to date with those over at Toronto Mainline Trains.

Maybe it would be nice to have a F125, but just about everything else has been done at least once...

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    To be fair, there's really not much happening with North American 1:1 scale locomotives aside from the new Seimens Chargers, and Ian Dodd has been staying up to date with those over at Toronto Mainline Trains.

Maybe it would be nice to have a F125, but just about everything else has been done at least once...
    LMAO! Siemens!!!! They were just about making washing machines when anything interesting was being made for North American Railroads As for everything else has been done Baldwin, Fairbanks Morse, just about any early GE locomotive (as they're no longer available from DW) and that's to say nothing of Turbines and about a thousand or so US "Kettles"...... If you're bored with modern railroading there's a whole world still to be done for the more interesting Transition Era. Not my opinion BTW but a matter of historic record. Greater variety of power, traffic, wagons, more double tracked routes, more roads etc.etc.etc. In fact one thing that really leaves me shaking my head is when modern era fans get all excited about some Gevo's painted in a Heritage Livery?!? The history of the lines that used that livery is just a tads more interesting than a Gevo painted up in it

To my knowledge the only models of the early experiments in TOFC are a small payware pack from BLLW.

Of course it has to be said that some early models that could be updated cannot be shared because the ridiculous and inappropriate early EULA that many cut and pasted in their models requires permission to modify and yet contacting many of the modellers is now well nigh impossible.

It's also worth mentioning that some early models were built to be usable on the hardware of nearly 20 years ago and long before BIN or OR were even a bright idea. So "been done at least once" is hardly a reason for current modellers not to build something that in today's updated Sim and on the latest hardware could be a lot more detailed?

I guess the trouble is that those of us from the UK and Europe who were born just after WWII actually rode in steam hauled trains, saw the local drop off goods traffic and lived through to today's extremely comfortable Siemens EMU's that run on my local line. They're great to ride in .....but dull as ditch water to drive or simulate
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

People build what they know or love.

Personally, I find steam and first generation diesels completely uninteresting. Same for most things built after 1980.

Give me an E-9 or a SD40-2 and I’m in paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think there is a giant gap in the monster double diesels of the 60's/70's. The only U50, U50C, DD35A, DD35, etc. models we have are 15 to 20 years old at this point, and are... less than amazing looking compared to the current standards. As Geoff said, without DW there is a huge lack of up-to-date, quality U-Boat models.

I am personally interested in present-day railroading from a largely "mechanical" perspective. Like them or hate them, ES44AC's and SD70ACe's are impressive machines, able to generate tractive effort/pulling forces at low speeds that could only be dreamt of 50+ years ago.

I strongly agree with the sentiment that, without some more energy coming in, the tiny pool of remaining payware companies are going to have a hard time keeping this boat afloat on the North American side of things. If we as a community are trying to compete (or at least hold our ground) for graphics quality with the other train simulators, then the current trends in the community are not great looking. As has been shown in this thread, there are some shining examples of users still trying to push the boundaries of quality. However, the majority of what I see continues to be repainting Danny Beck models that are primarily 10 to 15 years old at this point, and have been superseded numerous times over. Obviously no one is obligated or required to buy the latest and greatest payware if it doesn't fit their budget, but it's a bit discouraging when new hi-poly, hi-res models are being put out by TrainSimulations or the like, and yet it seems like 75%+ of the repainting community does not take advantage of them, and continues to repaint SD70ACe, GEVO, SD40-2, etc. models from a decade or more ago. As a result, what most of the "outside world" (potential OR converts) see are screenshots of 10 to 15 year old models that just don't look as nice as the shiny new stuff in the other simulators.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments...

Yeah - LOL - ridiculously restrictive EULA's are a tad annoying - if you're making it for free - just keep it free and have fun with it... I used to laugh - I swear Chuck Schneider Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO) NALW - used to relish finding an errant texture someone may have used and uploaded from NALW so he could publicly chastise and berate the poor fellow... As a fellow "Bubblehead" - he must have been a real ballbuster in the Nav... I was tempted to include one as a joke - "You may not run this locomotives on Wednesdays" with one of my uploads to see if anyone noticed...

Yep - as Geoff said - so many of the models that have been made already - are not really up to the standards we would expect today - granted a big part of that is we didn't have the hardware to support it and we've learned a few things since then... I don't think there's really any shortage of content to model - it's just folks want it easy... Personally - I couldn't imagine this hobby without creating models for it - it would be like a model railroader sticking strictly with off the shelf models that remain unchanged from how they were packaged - - - it would work but it wouldn't look very good...

Yeah - that's the beauty of this hobby - to each his own... Personally - the charm of railroading is seeing all the fine artwork and heralds from the myriad of roads from far flung corners of the county - proudly advertising their line - - - once we got to endless strings of plain brown spartan cars covered in graffiti - from the remaining six - you've totally lost me...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-30-2020 at 01:24 PM.

People build what they know or love.
    Of course and that's only to be expected but I do think there's often a "disconnect" between models and roads that some modellers choose to model and the many excellent freeware routes? Obviously there are enough routes to replicate the scenery if not the actual location of most US roads now? ....but sometimes modellers build exquist models of stock in the livery of road A when some one just released a route for Road B that also uses the stock item? Fine if they allow reskins of course. But issues about EULA's are academic if the stuff doesn't get built

Personally, I find steam and first generation diesels completely uninteresting. Same for most things built after 1980.
    Give me an E-9 or a SD40-2 and I’m in paradise.
    Of course you have to be even older than me to have first hand experience of steam traction your side of the pond and here in Europe we had a very mixed bag of traction after WWII with Electric, Diesel and Steam running on many UK and European systems. As for the E9.... well at least it developed from a 1st generation diesel so you're already half way there?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

"New Freeware Models 2020"

-Looks over at Brandon Smith, even though his stuff is going to be payware when it comes out

I've seen his MILW 261 models, and on the right route, you could be fooled into thinking you're looking at the real thing. I know-I know, he's going to end up releasing most of his stuff as Payware, but they are indeed new models nonetheless. I still can't wait for his MILW F6 and F6a to commence. . .mainly just so I can get a certain monkey off my back.

I was about to mention Scott, but then I realised Scott started this thread in the first place, so I guess that's unnecessary, lol. Still can't wait for the USRA Mikado, Scott.

It's a shame Nicholas Schou never released his "Regular Production" Pennsy T-1s. He had those in the works for a very long time, and they were almost finished when I last saw them. I think he was planning on doing the Q-2 and some new passenger cars to go with the T-1 after he finished the T-1s.

Also, Tyler Bundy, your SD40As look amazing, and I can't thank you enough for the Paducah Geeps and the IC GP9s. Those models look awesome. Have you thought about doing the GP28s or later GM&O power at some point?