Thread: How to install Route Riter 7.6.26

Default How to install Route Riter 7.6.26

My Route Riter got farkled, so I need to re-install. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I prefer v7.6.26, and I've kept the rr7626fu.exe that I used to have. When I run the program as administrator, I get the error message:

"The access to the following file is denied
    C:\Windows\system32\dx8vb.dll"

I'm trying to install into C:\Route Riter, but I get the same result if I let it install into Program Files (x86). The installer puts quite a few files into the designated destination directory, including dx8vbdll.zip. When I copy that into the system32 directory it still gives me the same message. I've tried right clicking on the .dll file and "taking possession," but it doesn't help. I've used regsvr32 (from an elevated command prompt) to register it and the system reported success. That doesn't help. I've installed it before, several times, and never had this problem. Any suggestions?

Hi Roger,
    Looking at my Win 7 and Win 10 installations, Windows/System32 do not contain dx8vb.dll !! However, Windows/SysWOW64 DOES contain the file. So, just as a suggestion, try copying it into your SysWOW64 folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks, Ged. That was interesting. When I checked the sysWOW64 directory I found there were two dx8vb.xxx files. One was dx8vb.dll and the other was dx8vb.$$A. The dx8vb.dll had a later date and a digital signature from Digital Rails Corp. When I changed the extensions around and re-ran rr7626fu.exe it gave an error for system32\msstkprp.dll. Found the same thing, the Microsoft version had been overridden by a version from Digital Rails Corp. So I did the same thing and then it was zlib. So I restored the Microsoft versions (thank goodness Digital Rails Corp. had retained the original, just changed the extension) copied all three files to system32, and Route Riter is now fully installed. I don't know what I installed from Digital Rails Corp. that made these changes. I'll see how things run and maybe need to change the sysWOW64 back to the Digital Rails version.
    --
    Roger

Hi Roger,
    You, most probably, downloaded and installed v7.8.xx of Route_Riter from Digital Rails!!

Cheers,
    Ged