Thread: Windows 10 with Radeon

Default Windows 10 with Radeon

New computer, installed MSTS from original discs. HP Envy 64-bit, with AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics. Program launches, but everything greyed out except EXIT. Tried train.exe and launcher.exe. Tried running as administrator. All the same. Searched forums but couldn't find the answer. MSTS ran fine on old computer with Windows 7. I'm not real tech-savvy, so some detailed instructions would be appreciated.
    Mike

MSTS doesn't play well with AMD graphics on Win10. Or Intel for that matter.
    There is/was a work around several years back but your best options may be to use ORTS or get an NVIDIA card.
    Open Rails works just fine on AMD and it will utilize all of your MSTS content.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Or Intel for that matter.
    Is that proven by example, by anyone? The AMD problems are well known. The newer Intel gpu chipsets are by far more capable, and so many comments about MSTS and Intel video hereabouts seem to be based on 10-, 15-year old Windows XP days, and not current hardware nor Win10. Sure, no comparison with a nice NVidia card, but present-day Intel onboard video is much closer to the mid-range AMD cards I used to use, running MSTS in times past, with no functional problems.
    Last edited by ftldave; 02-01-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Intel and MSTS is a mixed bag. Some chipsets down't work at all. Some work, but with odd visual artifacts on ground textures. Some work fine... or at least fine until a driver update breaks something.

The problem with both AMD and Intel is that their chipsets and drivers aren't 100% compatible with portions of (unsupported) Legacy DirectX. Since it's not supported by Microsoft any longer, it's more economical not to spend development money and resources on it.

Nvidia uses their near 100% compatibility with old DirectX as a means of holding on to more market share... and getting people to pay the so-called "Nvidia Tax" of their higher prices for cards and drivers that are likely to handle anything you throw at them.

It's the free market economy, working as designed.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    Intel and MSTS is a mixed bag. Some chipsets down't work at all. Some work, but with odd visual artifacts on ground textures. Some work fine... or at least fine until a driver update breaks something.

The problem with both AMD and Intel is that their chipsets and drivers aren't 100% compatible with portions of (unsupported) Legacy DirectX. Since it's not supported by Microsoft any longer, it's more economical not to spend development money and resources on it.

Nvidia uses their near 100% compatibility with old DirectX as a means of holding on to more market share... and getting people to pay the so-called "Nvidia Tax" of their higher prices for cards and drivers that are likely to handle anything you throw at them.

It's the free market economy, working as designed.
    Well, I guess that's that. At my age (80) I'm too old to be playing games, anyway! I do have an old computer that died, maybe I can get it running and use that. Thanks to all.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tukwilla View Post
    Well, I guess that's that. At my age (80) I'm too old to be playing games, anyway!...
    What rubbish!
    Do you not realise that playing a computer game, with which you are interacting, provides more benefit to the grey matter than watching TV or a movie?
    And games in which you have to use hand/eye coordination as part of that interaction are even more beneficial.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Not to mention just because MSTS doesn't run - there are plenty of sims out there that do very nicely on modern hardware.

The DTG sims - either their heritage "Railworks" currently called TS2020, or Train Sim World which has improved a bit since first release. There is quite a bit of content available, yes much of it is paid DLC but if purchased from Steam should integrate seamlessly with your install.

If you're not too bothered about accurate physics, then Trainz is on its umpteenth iteration, with a huge repository of routes and assets on N3V's own Download Station.

That's before considering the likes of Run8, World Of Subways et al.
    Vern.

Well, after a lot of work I was able to resurrect my old computer, although I had to reinstall W7 from scratch. I had thought it was beyond hope. Anyway, I reinstalled TS and Train Store and everything seems to work just fine. Now I can leave the computers alone and go to my bridge club to stimulate my mind. (In the meantime, I discovered Hindu Cow Girl on YouTube. Interesting.)

Quote Originally Posted by tukwilla View Post
    (In the meantime, I discovered Hindu Cow Girl on YouTube. Interesting.)
    For those who don't know what that reference was about, Hindu Cow Girl posts amazing, beautiful cab ride videos of Norway's train routes, on YouTube. The snowy wintertime videos through Norway's mountainous scenery are marvelous to behold.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Use DGvoodoo and enjoy MSTS with modern hardware.