Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you like about Openrails/MSTS.

Default What do you like about Openrails/MSTS.

I always here alot about what people dont like and not so much about what makes them keep coming back to the sim so I just figured it would nice to here some positives about why some of you like the sim. Well since I started the thread I will start off with saying I enjoy creating my own consist being able to modify routes the little that I can I also enjoy the amount of stuff created for the sim I know it's not everything everybody wants but definitely enough to get you going good on almost any railroad and the people past or present who bust there ass to make these sims enjoyable for all of us.

With the wonderful TSRE pretty robust and able, the MSTS/OR dynamic continues to elevate. OR's ability to render graphics and enhance performance by letting the CPU and GPU do what they are meant to do, that is a big win. More advanced train handling is another big win, whether it's due to some of OR's features, or the ability to configure physics, which is huge. While I don't profess to be a complex activity creator, just look at some of the abilities geepster demonstrates in some of his activity screenshots and videos.
    While I would have plodded along with MSTS just because I love running trains, once I jumped into OR, it did breathe new life into my train simming. And now with using Goku's fantastic TSRE, modding routes is quicker, and more intelligent (and for some, building them!). Kudos to him.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I like Open Rails that read/use MSTS files, playing lots of them still
    I like how much stuff is avaible for both
    I like the comunity here in trainsim.com thats keeps on going....
    I like to be able to modyfy my game to an almost extreme point
    I like to modyfy existing activites to get even more experience
    I also like to make my own activites
    I was able to learn how to make my own cab

I mean thats what i call hardcore gaming.

Have fun, always....

Hi Folks,

The steam physics are the best that's ever been...

The fact that Open Rails is "Open Source" so we can make the sim whatever we want - without concern for deadlines and profit margins... A sim built by the community - for the community... This is such a rare opportunity and exciting opportunity - I don't know why more don't embrace it...

Regards,
    Scott

I *think* I could like the Timetable feature, but do I need a degree in Excel to use the Editor?
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I *think* I could like the Timetable feature, but do I need a degree in Excel to use the Editor?
    Hi Vern,

No - the actual spreadsheet part is rather simple (each train is in its own column) and there's a tool built into ORTS to help you... Timetables can be complex if you want complex train movements - but that has more to do with setting up paths correctly... One other advantage is if you take the time to populate "static consists" - you can set that up as its own standalone timetable so it could be called from multiple timetables - theoretically you could do it once...

Regards,
    Scott

I'm having a go at it now, Scott.

I love timetabling and the one regret I have after retiring from the Control Office after 41 years on the railway, is no longer having the challenge of producing very short notice (VSTP) schedules.
    Vern.

Hi Vern,

41 Years is a long time - enjoy...

Regards,
    Scott

I had been simming with MSTS for several years then life intervened and I got away from it for a while. Then about a year ago I read about OR and downloaded it. It is impressive, the user interface much better than the old MSTS that took over your monitor. I also have been creating activities using TSRE and the track viewer for paths and that works pretty well. Just found out about Goku's consist editor, I had been making consists by hand via copy/paste/edit an existing consist file that was close to what I wanted. Now it looks like I have everything I need.

The MSTS/OR world has so much to offer compared to other sims and a lot of it is free. My latest interest is the Australian routes from the Coals to Newcastle site, working on activities for the scenic Illawarra V3 route. Haven't had this much fun with simming in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    I had been simming with MSTS for several years then life intervened and I got away from it for a while. Then about a year ago I read about OR and downloaded it. It is impressive, the user interface much better than the old MSTS that took over your monitor. I also have been creating activities using TSRE and the track viewer for paths and that works pretty well. Just found out about Goku's consist editor, I had been making consists by hand via copy/paste/edit an existing consist file that was close to what I wanted. Now it looks like I have everything I need.

The MSTS/OR world has so much to offer compared to other sims and a lot of it is free. My latest interest is the Australian routes from the Coals to Newcastle site, working on activities for the scenic Illawarra V3 route. Haven't had this much fun with simming in a while.
    oh cool - doing stuff with australian routes, - i dont know much about editors for MSTS/OR and where i would even start with US or Euro routes and the Protrain stuff whihc i have a tonne of cover muchs of my needs there, but if i had some aussie content, i could have fun putting things together there - where could i find australian content, - whether free or downloadable? i know there is some blue mountains content, but i would really like to know how i could get some NSW/Victorian content

- edit - i looked in the file library here and see that there is so good aussie content, - i attempted to look before but didnt know what category to be looking under for things and now sure the world diesel locomotive category and there the PacNat freight trains are!
    Last edited by Heruraha93; 02-13-2020 at 04:17 AM. Reason: because i am stupid