Thread: Speedpost -vs- TSRE and OR

Default Speedpost -vs- TSRE and OR

I am actually using TSRE5 v0.69761 and i am trying to place some speedposts. In the manual, there are no specific instructions about them. So i just place a couple to check if i was doing it correctly, like in MSTS-RE.

I have OR 1.3.1.4328. When i start my route for tests, i dont see the speed in the track monitor panel but the post are there, more like a scenery object than like a track related object and the speed is on the sign.

Since it is my first try at placing speedposts, i removed those speedposts and installed new ones, even changed my speedpost.dat using one that i know works in another route i have. Still the same results. I decided to see if MSTS-RE would give me the same results with those posts as it was in RE that i used them last and that they do work. I did install 6 posts with speed from 50 to 20 MPH and for Both, Freight and Passenger. Started OR with no expectations with first a freight consist...and the speed were on the trackmonitor panel...and only freight speeds were showing...i was still open-mouth when i tried OR with a passenger consist and the passenger speeds were there on the trackmonitor panel...

My question is: is there something i should know or care about when i use TSRE5? It seems so easy, first selecting Signals in the Object panel to the right, than Speedsign, then choosing the one to use, placing it in the middle of the tracks, indicating the speed, selecting Miles and selecting if it is for Both, Pass or Freight and than placing the post at the right location alongside the track and turning the post for the speed to be viewed from the locomotive. Is it all?

Thanks for your help...

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by michelouim View Post
    I am actually using TSRE5 v0.69761 and i am trying to place some speedposts. In the manual, there are no specific instructions about them. So i just place a couple to check if i was doing it correctly, like in MSTS-RE.

I have OR 1.3.1.4328. When i start my route for tests, i dont see the speed in the track monitor panel but the post are there, more like a scenery object than like a track related object and the speed is on the sign.

Since it is my first try at placing speedposts, i removed those speedposts and installed new ones, even changed my speedpost.dat using one that i know works in another route i have. Still the same results. I decided to see if MSTS-RE would give me the same results with those posts as it was in RE that i used them last and that they do work. I did install 6 posts with speed from 50 to 20 MPH and for Both, Freight and Passenger. Started OR with no expectations with first a freight consist...and the speed were on the trackmonitor panel...and only freight speeds were showing...i was still open-mouth when i tried OR with a passenger consist and the passenger speeds were there on the trackmonitor panel...

My question is: is there something i should know or care about when i use TSRE5? It seems so easy, first selecting Signals in the Object panel to the right, than Speedsign, then choosing the one to use, placing it in the middle of the tracks, indicating the speed, selecting Miles and selecting if it is for Both, Pass or Freight and than placing the post at the right location alongside the track and turning the post for the speed to be viewed from the locomotive. Is it all?

Thanks for your help...

Michel
    Hi Michel,

Just covering the basics - speed posts are directional - is the indicator on the track pointing in the correct direction ? I've placed them in TSRE without issue...

Regards,
    Scott

hi Scott,

yes, so it seems to me, but you are asking and i saw that all the indicators in the middle of the tracks are greyish, even those placed in MSTS-RE and working fine in OR.

Michel

Speedposts and the like are shown as greyish pyramids in TSRE, not that trippy tie-dye thing that MSTS used. As for the wrong speed showing...is the speedpost being expanded across several tracks? There was a bug or two associated with that function. I don't recall if those were fixed or not

Only one track!!!

Here is a screen in TSRE5...

Speedpost.jpg

Left is a speedpost placed in TSRE5, right are speedposts placed in MSTS-RE.

Scott, i was wrong, it doesnt point in the right direction as you can see at left. The speedposts placed are for trains moving from left to right. How can i made the form point in a left-right direction? When running a train left-right, i can see the post and the number on it.

Michel

On the left side of the window is a 'Flip' button. You can try that. If I read you correctly, you rotated the shape but not the track object. In that case, you should select the track object, uncheck the 'Flip Shape' box and then click 'Flip' once. That should get everything facing the right way. In future, I recommend getting the sign and track object facing the right way first, using the 'Flip' button with the 'Flip Shape' box checked, and then fine tuning the rotation of the sign shape

Thanks, you read me correctly.

One more thing learn today...

Michel