Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trainset size .

It's only an issue if you're using the MSTS editors/tools or running the game in MSTS.

MSTS has to read all of the ENG and WAG files on startup, and at some point, you can't launch either the game or tools, and the only way to resolve it is to remove items from the TRAINSET folder...

I'm not sure how much of the limit is being driven by the number of unique ENG/WAG files or the total number of lines it has to read.

Hello,
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply to this matter , it has help me out , now I don't have to worry about how much I add to my trainset folder as I'm using openrails .
    Thanks again
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply to this matter , it has help me out , now I don't have to worry about how much I add to my trainset folder as I'm using openrails .
    Thanks again
    Tim
    Maybe you should rethink this...because many of the utility programs that you will use, do have to read your trainset and consists...so they take longer to perform tasks when these folders become "stuffed".
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks Gerry,
    Maybe down the road I will have to break it up and have a couple of routes , rather than one big one, a while back I had 4-5 smaller routes and it was ok, but they had pretty much the same stuff in them, and thought why not just make one bigger train set that has everything in it ?

The only utility I've had problems with was SFM2.5. Large shapes folders will grind it to a halt.
    I have a work file where I copy anything I'm working on to. Then just copy it back and overwrite.
    Keeps it more manageable.

Randy

It is a well known fact that in order to run MSTS a large number of files are needed for each simulation. MSTS wants to read all of the files that might be required, and these are then stored within its memory ready to be used. Consequently as the MSTS content grows so the files memorised grows and this significantly increases the start up time, and in that respect MSTS has a finite limit; e.g. the MSTS “consists” limit appears to be about 800, at which time MSTS can crash!
    Creating L&YR Wagons - see HERE and L&NWR Coaches - see HERE.