Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainset size .

Default Trainset size .

Hi,
    I was wondering, how many engines and cars can you let your trainset get , before you start having problems ?
    Any thoughts on this would be great .
    Thanks inadvance.
    Tim

No limit as far as I can tell.
    I have over 2500 entries in my trainset folder.
    I run OpenRails Monogame use the TSRE editors and Route_Riter.
    I was a little more concerned with the size of my Shapes/Textures folder but with over 15,000 shapes it's not an issue either.

Randy

Hi Randy ,
    Thanks for your input.
    Regards
    Tim

Tim,

Back in the days when I used to run MSTS, if my trainset or consists file had too many subfiles the route would crash while loading. This is the reason why Train Store came about.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering, how many engines and cars can you let your trainset get , before you start having problems ?
    Any thoughts on this would be great .
    Thanks inadvance.
    Tim
    Hi,

A sub question to that, is there a limit in OR for a consist to be, engines and cars? considering that engines can be up front, somewhere in and at the end of a consist? (I saw sometime ago a real CN consist of 2 engines in front, 1 maybe a third in the consist and another one further back but not at the end)

Michel

Gentlemen,

Are we talking about Open Rails or MSTS. If you are asking questions about Open Rails these questions should be posted in the Open Rails Discussion forum. You will probably get more responses.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by frliss View Post
    Gentlemen,

Are we talking about Open Rails or MSTS. If you are asking questions about Open Rails these questions should be posted in the Open Rails Discussion forum. You will probably get more responses.

Fred
    ok...

thanks

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by michelouim View Post
    Hi,

A sub question to that, is there a limit in OR for a consist to be, engines and cars? considering that engines can be up front, somewhere in and at the end of a consist? (I saw sometime ago a real CN consist of 2 engines in front, 1 maybe a third in the consist and another one further back but not at the end)

Michel
    AFAIK -- in OR -- no limits...only your CPU and GPU's ability to process are limiting...regarding MSTS, yes I believe there are limits --- but it will need someone with knowledge of MSTS to answer that one.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    AFAIK -- in OR -- no limits...only your CPU and GPU's ability to process are limiting...regarding MSTS, yes I believe there are limits --- but it will need someone with knowledge of MSTS to answer that one.
    Thanks...i also think that there is a limit in MSTS, read that somewhere here...but since i am moving to OR, the no limit will enable me, and maybe others too, to have long trains like the real railroads have now....

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by michelouim View Post
    Thanks...i also think that there is a limit in MSTS, read that somewhere here...but since i am moving to OR, the no limit will enable me, and maybe others too, to have long trains like the real railroads have now....

Michel
    Michel, here's some info from the manual: for more, search "MU" and "multiple"
    8.5 Engines – Multiple Units in Same Consist or AI Engines
    In an OR player train one locomotive is controlled by the player, while the other units are controlled by
    default by the train’sMU(multiple unit) signals for braking and throttle position, etc. The player-controlled
    locomotive generates the MU signals which are passed along to every unit in the train. For AI trains, the
    AI software directly generates the MU signals, i.e. there is no player-controlled locomotive. In this way,
    all engines use the same physics code for power and friction.
    This software model will ensure that non-player controlled engines will behave exactly the same way as
    player controlled ones.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.