Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post
    ...Someone should send them a copy of Run8 and make them sit down and run it so they can see what a train sim can do because they still seem to have no idea.
    They wouldn't have the slightest interest in doing so. They aren't "train people".
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Good posts Sean, very informative.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    They wouldn't have the slightest interest in doing so. They aren't "train people".
    Remember around the time TSW came out? They were saying “By railfans, for railfans” and had set up a website about #wearerailfans. The cover image for the site was a child waking in the four foot (along the ties) which is something no real railfan would confine!

They need to fix their hot garbage. But I guess as long as they are making a profit somehow let the crap keep rolling. It's a shame all that attention to graphics and inside the cabs with all the buttons etc. But the operations is like an extended tutorial of how to play choo choo.

As for their so called "FREE ROAM" yeah you can make all the switching puzzles you want but if you can't spawn in new stuff or find ways of getting rid of old stuff to simulate some kind of operations, what is the point?

Thanks

Sean

OK I know I can be a vocal critic of Run8 at times, but I've always stood by 3 things 1) I got my money worth a long time ago 2) It's the best train simulator on the planet 3) They do listen to their customers and often exceed expectations on their updates.

Someone earlier said how spoiled I was with Run8 and at the time I still had faith DTG had learned. Bottom line is they don't want to learn.

Scott discovered a region within the hamilton "FREE ROAM" crap that will kick you out if your running a train and has nothing to do with signals. When the activity starts up a bunch of areas will show up to allow you to end the activity. Fair enough it even says "WALKING" to the building. But even in this area there is a section about the mid point toward the harbour that you can not access.

This GAME (I can't call it a sim any longer it's a game) could actually become a sim and allow users to have a continued rewarding experience with 2 simple options that I'm sure was already suggested on their forums that would take an inexperienced programmer in UE4 no more than 10 minutes by 1 person to implement.

1) Have a setting that allows the user to turn the stupid ending of the sim off at certain events. In other words like running a red signal. Hell even MSTS that is a Sim despite it's flaws had Explore Mode that could do this. Except it would actually light up a legitimate signal for you all over.

2) Have another setting that allows the switch machines to become clickable. These are called objects in UE4 and their is a parameter for every object that detects when something is clicked. This 1 line of code can be allowed to switch the points to allow you to explore the mainline. Again Run8 does this well by having a dispatch mode, locking of those points that a DS can allow to be unlocked.

But here is the reality of THIS GAME and is the core rule in DTG's business model. THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO STAY IN THEIR GAMES FOR MORE THAN A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME. They want you to buy the next piece of crap they release that promises to be better than the last but fails miserably. The only people to buy this are curious people that have the money to spend, those that enjoy this for some reason, and idiots that get suckered in. Yes I was very curious, and I almost got suckered in.

No thanks I'll stick to Run8. Sure I'm running out of options but at least I still have options with that sim.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post

Sure I'm running out of options but at least I still have options with that sim.

Thanks

Sean
    Here is a pic from someone on the dovetail forum, I think this surmises the operational capability of TSW pretty well.
    Capture.JPG

BTW I read on that forum that they now added rolling stock "scenery" that is not usable to make yards and sidings look
    a bit better. yeah man! give a train sim where I can't use the trains?????

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    O
    But here is the reality of THIS GAME and is the core rule in DTG's business model. THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO STAY IN THEIR GAMES FOR MORE THAN A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME. They want you to buy the next piece of crap they release that promises to be better than the last but fails miserably. The only people to buy this are curious people that have the money to spend, those that enjoy this for some reason, and idiots that get suckered in. Yes I was very curious, and I almost got suckered in.
    I agree with this assessment. On the one hand you have sims (or games) that give you a full featured experience and then use their DLC to either expand what you can do, or add new places to do it in. The SCS trucking sims, for example, adding not just new areas to drive in but optional trickier cargo to haul. Flight Sim, where you could add more planes to fly or more detailed renditions of your favourite destinations. OMSI2 have a hugely comprehensive game on its one base map (Berlin-Spandau) to the point where you might not even need more DLC given how much there was to do and now involving the driving was, but the DLC market still thrived. Heck, I am playing Frostpunk right now, and the recent DLC added a new scenario with an entirely new set of buildings, technology and laws to let you play in a very different way to the main story.

On the other hand, you have DTG. Every route is a minimum viable product, with only a handful of content on it. A DLC for the DLC might add an extra train or two which makes the basic version feel more fleshed out, but that’s it. After that, they’ve moved on to building the next one. I feels like EA’s model for their Battlefield games, they’re always announcing the next DLC on their roadmap. Sometimes the next sequel is even announced before all the stuff for the current game is released! Why would you want to invest time and money know it’s all going to be replaced with something better? That’s the Osborne Effect in full swing!

I’m disappointed as this route could have been the one thing to make me give DTG another chance, but they clearly have not learned what would be needed to up their game (pardon the pun).

I've got to add my image as requested. I've not tried scouting while in both Scenario/TimeTable-Modes.
    Just FreeRoam of the "Hamilton Explorer". Enjoy!.

off-limits-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMRY; 02-23-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post
    It's a shame though. Looking at those route maps it could keep me occupied for the rest of my life if only you could access it all.
    That is the whole silly ideology of TSW. They want fans to keep buying their redundant candy DLC.

Ironically, and despite Run8 burn-out for some, Run8 still looks pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    I've got to add my image as requested. I've not tried scouting while in both Scenario/TimeTable-Modes.
    Just FreeRoam of the "Hamilton Explorer". Enjoy!.

off-limits-1.jpg
    Does anyone know if those bits that are inaccessible in the so called free roam mode are used in any of the scenarios or are they just completely wasted space.